#48736  by GratefulPat

i probably do but you need to narrow it down, ive been working stella out for so long on bobs and jerrys parts

#48838  by old man down

Just a guess since this is all so vague. From the Wake of the Flood LP, after the verse "It all rolls into one," Jer or Bob play an arpeggio from the Emaj7 chord:

e|11
B|12
G|13
D|14
A|x
E|x

It is very resonant there since it is right at the 12th fret. The arpeggio is from the high e string to the D string.

Since it is so nice and resonant there, it is not too much of a stretch to think that one of them would employ it routinely on tour.

#48847  by pappypgh

I think he's referring to the last line of each half of each verse, that ends w/ an B7 chord. He's holding the whammy bar down, to loosen up the strings, hitting the high E & B strings on the 7th fret (harmonic - together - at the same time), then slowly lifting the whammy bar (tremolo arm for you purists) until it's back to normal, thus "bending up" to the B harmonic without the "Eb (or D#)" note.

Is THAT what yer talkin' about?

"There's just the pavement left....and broken dreams (bend up harmonic, followed by Jerry's bend from Bb to B note)....Stella Blue"

#48848  by strumminsix

Interesting pappy...
Never thought about this much but for that song I arpegiate E, em7, as4, a then hold the pick and use fingers for the remaining chords and on the c7 and b7 grab all 3 simultaneously. Never thought much about it since that was kinda just what my ears heard...

#48851  by tigerstrat

pappypgh wrote:the whammy bar (tremolo arm for you purists)
A purist would call it a vibrato arm. **ducking and running...**

#48857  by Pete B.

I always thought it would be funny if actual slices of cheese would drop out of Bobbys guitar when he used that Whammy thang.

#48885  by pappypgh

tigerstrat wrote:
pappypgh wrote:the whammy bar (tremolo arm for you purists)
A purist would call it a vibrato arm. **ducking and running...**

I'LL GET YOU, TS - IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!!! :x
peteb wrote:I always thought it would be funny if actual slices of cheese would drop out of Bobbys guitar when he used that Whammy thang.
LMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, in all fairness - he used it with pretty good taste, IMO.

#48887  by pappypgh

strumminsix wrote:Interesting pappy...
Never thought about this much but for that song I arpegiate E, em7, as4, a then hold the pick and use fingers for the remaining chords and on the c7 and b7 grab all 3 simultaneously. Never thought much about it since that was kinda just what my ears heard...
I'm with ya on the arpeggios, SS....and even the C7....but hit that harmonic together like I described and, if you have a tremolo arm - EXCUSE ME - VIBRATO arm :x - hold it down, then bring it back to normal position after the pluck....sickleberry. :cool:

#48910  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:I always thought it would be funny if actual slices of cheese would drop out of Bobbys guitar when he used that Whammy thang.
I really like Bob's whammying on GSET, Sugar Mag, Bucket...

#48911  by pappypgh

tigerstrat wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I always thought it would be funny if actual slices of cheese would drop out of Bobbys guitar when he used that Whammy thang.
I really like Bob's whammying on GSET, Sugar Mag, Bucket...
WORD. Also props on I Need A Miracle, Truckin', The Other One, Black Peter and Victim or the Crime, just to name a few more. :cool:

#48915  by Pete B.

I'm thinking maybe like when he uses the whammy bar, it's hooked up to like a playdough unit filled with spray can cheese that comes out of his guitar pickups like spagetti!... no?
8)

#48917  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:I'm thinking maybe like when he uses the whammy bar, it's hooked up to like a playdough unit filled with spray can cheese that comes out of his guitar pickups like spagetti!... no?
8)
and out of his mouth, nose, eye sockets... :D

#48926  by krzykat

tigerstrat wrote:
Pete B. wrote:I'm thinking maybe like when he uses the whammy bar, it's hooked up to like a playdough unit filled with spray can cheese that comes out of his guitar pickups like spagetti!... no?
8)
and out of his mouth, nose, eye sockets... :D
just out of his ears

#48933  by amyjared

I always thought it would be funny if actual slices of cheese would drop out of Bobbys guitar when he used that Whammy thang.
I'm thinking maybe like when he uses the whammy bar, it's hooked up to like a playdough unit filled with spray can cheese that comes out of his guitar pickups like spagetti!... no?
LOL! Thanks for cracking me up today! I wasn't feeling well and this put a smile on my face!