#62697  by NashvilleMike

strumminsix wrote:Bro, seriously, gotta google some of this stuff and bone up! Surely I may sound like an ass but it will help you get to the next level.[/quote

You gotta be cruel to be (RU)Kind. Tell 'em sensei.

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Use the Pinky , Mick ! Use the pinky ! "
I believe that would be "The pinky you use, Mick! The pinky you use!"
 #62702  by b weird

Yo Sack don't dis Skynyrd. They weren't dising ol' Neil, it was all a joke. They were actually fans of eachother. Neil even wrote Powderfinger from Rust Never Sleeps for Skynyrd to record but due to their plane crash it never happened.
 #62703  by NashvilleMike

b weird wrote:Yo Sack don't dis Skynyrd. They weren't dising ol' Neil, it was all a joke. They were actually fans of eachother. Neil even wrote Powderfinger from Rust Never Sleeps for Skynyrd to record but due to their plane crash it never happened
I'm not so sure. L.S. was the ultimate southern rock band and I believe they took great offense to the songs "southern man" and "alabama". Neil certainly didn't...wait a minute weren't we talking about "Werewolves of London"?
 #62708  by b weird

Yes the topic was Werewolves and no Skynyrd was NOT the ultimate southern rock band, that's the Allman Bro's spot. I was just trying to say that Ronnie Van Zant himself said it was a joke.
 #62712  by NashvilleMike

The ABB is obviously the best band the south ever produced but I have always considered them a blues band not a southern rock band. When I think southern rock I think of Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, 38 special, Skynrd etc... I love these lively discussions we have on here.

BTW Warren Zevon (RIP) was awesome.

I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the
Russians, too?

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this, hyeah

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock
and a hard place
And I'm down on my luck
Yes I'm down on my luck
Well I'm down on my luck

I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

All right
Huh!
Uh...
Uhh!
Hyah!
Ooh!
Yeah!
Yeah
Yeah...
Uh!
 #62719  by Mick

Tennessee Jedi wrote:fret chord D chord open ...... place pinky on "G" note ......
:D
try the pinky move elsewhere on neck too ....
Huh?????
 #62720  by Tennessee Jedi

Mick wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:fret chord D chord open ...... place pinky on "G" note ......
try the pinky move elsewhere on neck too ....
Huh?????
Try this ....
strumminsix wrote:D6 D5 | C6 C5 | G5 G5 G6 G5
:lol:
 #62721  by sack the wack

Weren't we talking about a minute digit.
I saw LS back in...well nevermind, but I had just seen LZ from the 3rd row and my reality was still fuzzy so I could never quite get that bit with 12 dueling guitars. Didn't know that about Powderfinger, that is actually one of the tunes I cover.
Thanx to all who responded to the original post and now I'm off to wash my pickup and install my new gun rack. Anybody see that damn coon dog? Yo Chester

Re:

#62722  by Tennessee Jedi

Billbbill wrote:The intro goes something like this

--D----C----G

g-7-7--5-5--4-4-5-4--
d-9-7--7-5--5-5-5-5--

you can dress it up with fuller shapes and hammer on the 9 and 7 on the D and C shapes. I think I recall jg doing the G-C-G7 deal over the G at times as well.

Solo wise the easy answer is play G ionian/pentatonic.

--D----C----G

g-7-7--5-5--4-4-5-4-- <<<<<<<<------------- insert pinky here
d-9-7--7-5--5-5-5-5--

the full chord

E------------3----------------
B-------------3-----------------
G------------------4------------
D-----------------------5--------
A----------------------------------
E---------------------------------

throw your pinky out there !
:D :D :D :D :D
 #62725  by NashvilleMike

Tennessee Jedi wrote:<<<<<<<<------------- insert pinky here
last time I tried to insert my pinky...it didn't go so well.
 #62727  by Mick

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Billbbill wrote:The intro goes something like this

--D----C----G

g-7-7--5-5--4-4-5-4--
d-9-7--7-5--5-5-5-5--

you can dress it up with fuller shapes and hammer on the 9 and 7 on the D and C shapes. I think I recall jg doing the G-C-G7 deal over the G at times as well.

Solo wise the easy answer is play G ionian/pentatonic.

--D----C----G

g-7-7--5-5--4-4-5-4-- <<<<<<<<------------- insert pinky here
d-9-7--7-5--5-5-5-5--

the full chord

E------------3----------------
B-------------3-----------------
G------------------4------------
D-----------------------5--------
A----------------------------------
E---------------------------------

throw your pinky out there !
:D :D :D :D :D
I now get what Strumminsix posted before. Of course, he could have dispensed with the assholishness of his response and just posted something briliant like "they're power chords", and I would have understood it too, but to each his own I guess. But now to your responses, which seem to only get more cryptic with each post: I see the e-shaped G chord there, but I still don't understand "throw your pinky out there". Out where? Insert my pinky onto the G string where G is? That would be fret 12. I am pretty sure I can't span from fret 5 on the D string to fret 12 on the G string. If you don't feel like responding, no problem. I have gotten a little irritated by this thread already. I was just trying to figure out what you were saying.
 #62728  by strumminsix

Mick wrote: I now get what Strumminsix posted before. Of course, he could have dispensed with the assholishness of his response and just posted something briliant like "they're power chords", and I would have understood it too, but to each his own I guess. But now to your responses, which seem to only get more cryptic with each post: I see the e-shaped G chord there, but I still don't understand "throw your pinky out there". Out where? Insert my pinky onto the G string where G is? That would be fret 12. I am pretty sure I can't span from fret 5 on the D string to fret 12 on the G string. If you don't feel like responding, no problem. I have gotten a little irritated by this thread already. I was just trying to figure out what you were saying.
Want to talk about assholishness?

How about saying thank you?

How about not coming in here for a free guitar lesson?

How about learning how to google?

How about showing appreciation?

How about not crying and learning to be self sufficient?

They aren't fucking power chords. The are alternating 6ths and 5ths.
I've heard it played in every key imaginable so my first response was key agnostic.

You probably don't understand what I just said above and you'll cry about that too.

Now, explain yourself, what was so assish? "Bro, seriously, gotta google some of this stuff and bone up! Surely I may sound like an ass but it will help you get to the next level."

You don't know theory, you don't know chords and all you can do is read tab.

Next time you want lessons, pay somebody.
 #62729  by Tennessee Jedi

All good Mick Bro !
no probs !
I bet you already do what I'm saying in a million other tunes !
Fret a a G chord at the 3rd fret .
Not the full barre chord.
1st finger barre's the G and D note @ 3rd fret.
2nd finger @ 4th fret B
3rd finger @ 5th fret G
Dont do the full Power chord with 1st finger barring the whole 3rd fret.
Now place your pinky @ 5th fret C of the G string ......
BillBBill's tab only shows the notes sounded in the chord - not all the fretted notes.
Bills tab sounds like the intro to me.
I dont use the pinky for the D and C chords in Bills tab .... my bad for the confusion ...you could though .... Jerry uses his pinky to fret barre chords that have the root on the A string.....so use the PINKY wisely ....
Good luck mi Amigo !
:D :D :D
 #62730  by Mick

strumminsix wrote:Want to talk about assholishness? How about saying thank you?
I don't normally thank those who insult my intelligence. Given your infantile response here, I see no reason to make an exception.
How about not coming in here for a free guitar lesson?
I didn't.
How about learning how to google?
I know how to google. But as you said yourself, there was not one unique interpretation of what you wrote, so I asked you to be more specific.
How about showing appreciation?
For what? Posts like this?
How about not crying and learning to be self sufficient?
I am certainly not crying, although it sounds a whole lot more like you are.
They aren't fucking power chords. The are alternating 6ths and 5ths.
I've heard it played in every key imaginable so my first response was key agnostic.

You probably don't understand what I just said above and you'll cry about that too.
Gee, this is fun.
Now, explain yourself, what was so assish? "Bro, seriously, gotta google some of this stuff and bone up! Surely I may sound like an ass but it will help you get to the next level."
When someone admits to not knowing something and asks a question, and you respond by insulting their intelligence, that is assholish behavior in my opinion.
You don't know theory, you don't know chords and all you can do is read tab.
This is great, you know what I know and what I don't know. Are you Tom Cruise?
Next time you want lessons, pay somebody.
I never asked you for a lesson, and given your apparent interpersonal skills, you can bet I never will. Happy now?
 #62731  by Mick

Tennessee Jedi wrote:All good Mick Bro !
no probs !
I bet you already do what I'm saying in a million other tunes !
Fret a a G chord at the 3rd fret .
Not the full barre chord.
1st finger barre's the G and D note @ 3rd fret.
2nd finger @ 4th fret B
3rd finger @ 5th fret G
Dont do the full Power chord with 1st finger barring the whole 3rd fret.
Now place your pinky @ 5th fret C of the G string ......
BillBBill's tab only shows the notes sounded in the chord - not all the fretted notes.
Bills tab sounds like the intro to me.
I dont use the pinky for the D and C chords in Bills tab .... my bad for the confusion ...you could though .... Jerry uses his pinky to fret barre chords that have the root on the A string.....so use the PINKY wisely ....
Good luck mi Amigo !
:D :D :D
I understand. Thank you.