#67943  by Pete B.

Here's a possible position for studio version, track 10, opening chord, maybe....
:wink:

E|--11--
B|--11--
G|--10--
D|--9---
A|--10--
E|---x---

It drifts quickly to the Fm Bass lick, like 8x... (and break on the big C/g-bass).

[this is played very "sticcatto"... quick, sharp, picking]
E|--------------------------------
B|--------------------------------
G|--------------------------------
D|-----3--2--1--0-----------------
A|-----------------3--3--1--2--3--
E|--1-----------------------------
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #67947  by old man down

So I tried Pete's chord this morning, and though I did not give a listen to the actual recording to compare, the chord does seem to be a very good match.

Thank you, Pete, and I'll get back further when I have a chance to really assess.

After I pick it, I find myself wanting to sing "Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night..."

Cool chord. Does it have a name?
 #67958  by Pete B.

For an interesting 'Garcia' album audio tidbit... Play the first 4-5 seconds of Track 5, then immediatly click/play the first 2-3 seconds of Track 10, then go back and forth between the 2 a coupla times.
:D
 #67959  by Emoto

Pete B. wrote:For an interesting 'Garcia' album audio tidbit... Play the first 4-5 seconds of Track 5, then immediatly click/play the first 2-3 seconds of Track 10, then go back and forth between the 2 a coupla times.
:D
What happens?
 #67960  by Pete B.

It's just an interesting juxtaposition of a very similar chord shape played on piano vs. guitar.
Maybe not so interesting? :drink:
 #67986  by Emoto

Pete B. wrote:It's just an interesting juxtaposition of a very similar chord shape played on piano vs. guitar.
Maybe not so interesting? :drink:
Just tried it. It was interesting.
 #67992  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:Here's a possible position for studio version, track 10, opening chord, maybe....

E|--11--
B|--11--
G|--10--
D|--9---
A|--10--
E|---x---
So that there is a... G7#9b13 ? So how about, for single-guitar:

E|-----
B|--4--
G|--3--
D|--3--
A|--2--
E|-T3--

or perhaps:

E|-----
B|--4--
G|--3--
D|--3--
A|--2--
E|-----
 #68081  by old man down

tigerstrat wrote:
Pete B. wrote:Here's a possible position for studio version, track 10, opening chord, maybe....

E|--11--
B|--11--
G|--10--
D|--9---
A|--10--
E|---x---
So that there is a... G7#9b13 ?
At chordbook.com, a great site by the way for all sorts of help, including a forum, the chord is described as Bmaj7-5/G.

One thing I like about the chord, besides it working well enough, is that after you hit it, if you then raise that D string note to the 10th fret, it is also what you hear on the album.

tigerstrat, I'm going to type in the name of the chord you name, G7#9b13, at that site and see what they show.
 #166016  by kyleciarrocchi

As someone who is also trying to figure out that first chord from the studio version, this thread is extremely aggravating. No one knows what your talking about or is giving you awful answers, if i figure it out ill let you know
 #166030  by strumminsix

kyleciarrocchi wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:21 pm As someone who is also trying to figure out that first chord from the studio version, this thread is extremely aggravating. No one knows what your talking about or is giving you awful answers, if i figure it out ill let you know
This thread is a conversation between some very intelligent folks who are discussing variations of this song. It's wonderful.