#12384  by abspatz

I wonder if anyone on here has ever tried this song in Open G, as it was played originally. I learned it today as Muddy Waters played it (originally by Robert Johnson, I think), and this style sounds *just* like how bobby played. hope it helps.

(sorry, I don't know how to write tab on here...)
You need a slide, and hit the 5 string continuously as your bass, slide from the 2nd to 3rd fret on your 3rd string, then hit the same sting open...then slide to the 5th fret on your 1st string.

so thats a beautiful little lick. then you can take the slide up to the 5th fret to play your 4 chord and eventually to the 7th to play your 5 in the 12 bar progression. bobby obviously didn't play the continuous bass like this, but it sounds good if you're playing solo on an acoustic. hope you enjoy the country style blues.

#12385  by Cosmic Jimmy

thats how its played in the open G, its not the same as the dead play it, but it is the way like you said robert johnson, clapton, etc played it. beautiful song

#12386  by abspatz

right on. maybe i'm hearing things, cause I definatly hear bobby playing it this way...however i also hear this lick in little red rooster, so what do i know?? :D

#12388  by Cosmic Jimmy

definitely... i just meant that they stylize it a little differently than the bluesmen do it

#22481  by warrenMFKNhaynes

(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|---------------------
B|--------2--------14--
G|--5-p-0-2--5-p-0-14--
D|--------2--------14--
A|--------0------------
E|---------------------
thats how i play it