#140857  by brbadg

So I got smoked on this the last few weeks as the key is G. So begins my campaign to right this .The song starts in G ,then modulates to F? I think not.
I would like to submit a playable version for the masses.Thank you,Brian B.
 #140859  by ebick

brbadg wrote:So I got smoked on this the last few weeks as the key is G. So begins my campaign to right this .The song starts in G ,then modulates to F? I think not.
I would like to submit a playable version for the masses.Thank you,Brian B.
well, it actually does do that...if you go against the studio version of the song as recorded on American Beauty. In later years, I believe they changed the key moving up one whole step. In that case it would start in A, and then modulate down to G. But in any case, you are free to submit your version of the song right here in these forums. I will say though, that I have played this song many times, with many other folks, just like it is here without an issue. But please do share.
 #140861  by brbadg

I just wanted to say also that I am not knocking your efforts at all,as I greatly appreciate the opportunity to play this music, it's just that I felt this should be righted,as they stay in the same key as the studio version.
Did I know I was going to get a gig where they are reading from rukind charts,while I learn off the cd,I guess not!
 #140862  by ebick

brbadg wrote:it's just that I felt this should be righted,as they stay in the same key as the studio version.
Did I know I was going to get a gig where they are reading from rukind charts,while I learn off the cd,I guess not!
no....the original and really only studio version, American Beauty, starts in G and goes to F.

In later years, as I said earlier, and as is reflected in your you tube....they changed keys to A.

Jerry starts off in A and then at the one minute mark, G.

This is simply a key change. The relationship between G & F is the same as it is between A & G. The tab is correct, you just need to transpose it from G to A to get what you are after.
 #145898  by oceanbear11

Not that I claim to be remotely a master of this, but I just thought I'd put it out there that when I play the version as tabbed here (the one where they change keys) along with the tape, it sounds right and fits well. Just my $0.02