#142504  by tatittle

I spent last week in 90+ degree weather of Dallas Tx. in October, which led to me wondering what the heck the "got a soft machine" lyric in Truckin refers to. Anyone know for sure? Or just have a good guess?

I just read a column which suggested it may refer to Dallas lacking the corruption, bribes, and pay-offs to local gov't, which was "required" or "strongly suggested" in the era to avoid problems, hassles, and facilitate smooth travels/performances in the region (most notoriously in New Orleans). So "soft machine" would be a play on the "political machines" which can be quite tyrannical in any age/place, but especially in locales where gov't is a [corrupt] family business so to speak. The article also referenced the "Slurpee"/"Icee" drinks of 7-11, Dallas being their origin.

I will say in my travels around various Dallas neighborhoods (notably "bad" neighborhoods) and nearby towns I hardly saw any police patrolling etc. Coming from NJ/NY where there is a cop within a stone's throw everywhere, and given Texas' reputation for heartless law and order, I found this suprising. Perhaps it makes sense when thinking of Texas in terms of smaller gov't and greater individual liberty though. My understanding is that if you are actually charged with something in Tx., that is where the reputation begins to be rightfully earned.

I was so busy it regrettably slipped my mind....but I just realized I missed an opp'ty to visit Leo of Scarlet Fire guitars :cry:
Now I am upset!
 #144392  by TI4-1009

Just heard a "This American Life" about William Burroughs. He wrote The Soft Machine. He was in with Ginsberg, Kerouack, the Beats. The Dead had that connection through Cassady. Pretty sure Hunter would have read Burroughs, maybe he saw something there? No clue how it connects to Dallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soft_Machine