#64930  by JohnLocke

Hi guys. I have been playing guitar for about 8 months now and loving every second of it. This has always been one of my favorite songs and I was so excited to see that the chords used are ones I already know. My problem is I can't hear the strumming pattern on the cd, there are so many layers all I can hear is the melody. I tried to youtube people playing acoustic covers of it and I can't hear past the vocals. I think it is D,DU,UDU for the verses but it just doesn't feel right. If any one can help with the verses/chorus part I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
 #65016  by GratefulPat

ive never even attempted this song, but becuz im in akind mood today, ill post a video on youtube of it in the next 12 or so hours. should be fun for me too since i love this one but ive never bothered to learn it, all i know from listening that there is alot of chords haha
 #65087  by JohnLocke

Thanks alot man. Really nice of you to upload that. You confirmed my belief about two things: 1) the strum pattern is the one I was thinking of and 2)The strum pattern I worte is only for the basic verses! There are too many rest / different patterns, ect. for me to figure out on my own (although you did a pretty good job), looks like I'll have to break down and buy the sheet music for it. But at least it'll come with a bunch of Dead songs.
 #65089  by strumminsix

Seems like that song is one of many that into the category of gotta know it to play it, can't fake it.

Nice vid, GP!

Some quick things:
Song is in G, likely solo scale D mixo
The solo chords are the:
G Am Em
Just a box of rain, wind and water,
etc...
 #65097  by JohnLocke

G is correct, or atleast what I use. On my cd there is just too much going on (which is a good thing!), I don't have the ear skill anyway, but normally I can at least simplify it. Thanks for everyone's help, I am going to try and watch his video a couple more times before I spend the money on a dead song book, although that wouldnt be a bad investment. It'll just take some time to get all the little transitions between verses /choruses. Thanks!
 #65098  by strumminsix

JohnLocke wrote:G is correct, or atleast what I use. On my cd there is just too much going on (which is a good thing!), I don't have the ear skill anyway, but normally I can at least simplify it. Thanks for everyone's help, I am going to try and watch his video a couple more times before I spend the money on a dead song book, although that wouldnt be a bad investment. It'll just take some time to get all the little transitions between verses /choruses. Thanks!
Dude, are you hung up on the chords or single note runs?!
 #65111  by JohnLocke

All I am trying to do is play the rhythm on an acoustic guitar :lol: . D, Am, Em, C, D Am....different variations of that. The other stuff is too kinky for me right now, just not at that level. But, I love this song, the rhythm section could really hold me over for a long time. I mention the song book becasue I could see quarter notes, eight notes ect. and figure out how to strum it from there. I just can't get the "feel" for it, if I hum the song or try to think of it all I get is the single notes / meledy part, I got a real mental block. I am about to go look for a guitar pro tab version, it seems like I have before and couldn't find one. I will let you know if I do. Thanks again.
 #94588  by Adam Deckard

Hey guys. I have always wanted to learn this one but always thought there were no patterns and therefore would take forever to memorize. Well the truth is, the pattern changes every time and it did take forever to memorize. I sat down on the bench in front of my piano and played this song for 4 hours until i had it memorized. I saw this thread about the strumming, and im not sure how accurate mine is, but fwiw here ya go.

how many others out there have committed this song to memory? How many could play it right now and get every chord change right? this song is pretty nasty when it comes to chord progression. I also think this is the perfect song for internalizing the guiter a little. because there are so many chord changes and weird patterns, it forces you while your learning it to kinda guess at the chords cause the progression is so nasty BUT the words arent hard to memorize and if you have listened to the song enough you know what sounds your looking for on each of those chord changes and u start getting the hang of just playing a chord becuase u know its gonna sound like the note your singing. To me that is thrilling to hear a note in my head and play it on the guitar. well im gonna get to sleep but

and i could use some constructive criticism here on the vid...
 #94678  by Tennessee Jedi

Yo Adam
I'm working this one up too - funny how all of a sudden their are TWO vids to watch on the board now !
Great job by the way ......
Are you sitting in front of the Wall Of Sound ?
:-)
 #94699  by Adam Deckard

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo Adam
I'm working this one up too - funny how all of a sudden their are TWO vids to watch on the board now !
Great job by the way ......
Are you sitting in front of the Wall Of Sound ?
:-)
Hey thanks Jedi! You said there were two vids up? I havnt seen the other.. The Wall of Sound is a rasterbation poster I created online.
 #94700  by Tennessee Jedi

Adam Deckard wrote:
Hey thanks Jedi! You said there were two vids up? I havnt seen the other..
forum/viewtopic.php?f=311&t=10051
Funny ... I have been wanting to ' see ' what others play during the Box intro but nada from both
:smile:
Adam Deckard wrote:
how many others out there have committed this song to memory? How many could play it right now and get every chord change right? this song is pretty nasty when it comes to chord progression.
With these ' nasty ' chord progressions I find that sitting down with lyrics and singing along really help the process along. Sucks I cant sing a lick but it does help .... follow the vocals.
:D
Yeah been working on this one lately.
I dont have a acoustic
:roll:
So its been electric all the way - JFK 89 version is fun to play along to
:smile:
 #107337  by tiffcheese

it's been years since I've played this and it's been on my mind lately, so I went through it once or twice then video'd it. Sort of impatient with homework myself. I'm not pointing out my errors, I'm sure you'll laugh along goodheartedly :lol:
http://youtu.be/xn6HHfdiB4s