#65755  by Jon S.

If I admit it, I'll drop in your estimation. But if I don't, I'll pass up the opportunity to learn from someone who's totally into authentic Dead playing. Oh, the conundrum! OK, I'll bite (heck, you already know I don't know squat about cabinet ohmage :oops: ) and hope you continue to feel that no question is a dumb question. :)

The basic part for the intro. + riff & 1st two lines of the verses. I just can't nail what Bobby's doing! :cry:

P.S. At least I think I mean Bobby's part (not the riff lead line).
 #65760  by strumminsix

Okay, first let's talk about how to count the song:
"Cold iron shackles, ball and chain"
Should count 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 (the 4's AND comes just after "chain")
We know 4 beats on C so it's a simple chart ||: C / / / :||

Play that out and hear the timing and firstly slide into the C from a B.

From there Bobby does some partial chords of F then G. Here is the chart for the whole line
||: C / / / | C F G C :||

"You know you bound to wind up dead" - Let's count out 8 here instead of 4 above (read = remove the 'AND's)

||: C7 / B7 / | Bb7 / C7 C :||

(these could also be diminished 7ths by the same root but I only play 3 strings on this part so it doesn't matter and I don't include the tonic.
 #65761  by Jon S.

We're getting close! What I'm really seeking to learn is EXACTLY what Bobby (assuming it's him) is playing here - not just the chord, all of the different notes and "chirps" (for lack of a better word)!

||: C / / / |
 #65764  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:We're getting close! What I'm really seeking to learn is EXACTLY what Bobby (assuming it's him) is playing here - not just the chord, all of the different notes and "chirps" (for lack of a better word)!

||: C / / / |
Um, sliding up to the C?
Sustained notes?
Whammy bar?
Inversion?

I've heard him do all them and more.
 #65767  by Jon S.

Today is not my day - I can't even seem to send you a PM now from here. Oh well. Will send you PM via The Gear Page instead. Problem is we're up against the limits of my musical vocabulary now, I'm hoping I can speak w/you briefly by phone, guitar in hand. Will send you my #. Thanks. Jon S.
 #65768  by strumminsix

Do it. But it will likely be a few days til I can call.

I've got my acoustic jam tonight, practice tomorrow, gig Wednesday (with our very own JDSMODULUS!)

Thursday is already booked for non-music as well as Friday.
 #65769  by Jon S.

That's great, I'm patient, call when convenient for you. Thanks again so much! :cool:
 #65779  by jlg327

Oddly enough, I was trying to figure this one out last night.

Strummin, you said you play partial chords at times in this (among others, I'm sure). Which shape? A-form? D-form? Just looking for a starting point. Thanks.
 #65795  by strumminsix

jlg327 wrote:Oddly enough, I was trying to figure this one out last night.

Strummin, you said you play partial chords at times in this (among others, I'm sure). Which shape? A-form? D-form? Just looking for a starting point. Thanks.
In the verse for the F & G chords I use D-form and mostly do a 5+3 inversion
 #119225  by gdrfk1990

though what most of you have will work this walk down functions this way

C7 Cdim7 F/C C Phil keeps the C in the bass for the whole walk down

can be played like this on guitar with Bass playing C

E|--8------5-----
B|--8---7--6--5--
G|--9---8--5--5--
D|--8---7--7--5--
A|--10-----------
E|--8------------

Possible Bobby part

E|------------------
B|--11--10--10--8---
G|--12--11--10--9---
D|--10--10--10--10--
A|------------------
E|------------------
 #120435  by gdrfk1990

here is the exact Bobby part from 3-15-90 for the walkdown" you know you bound to wind up dead" he arppegiates these chords. Very similar to the types of chords seen in the Terrapin Bobby Video

C7 Co7 F/C C
E|----------------------
B|--13----13----13--13--
G|--12----11----10--12--
D|--10----10----10--14--
A|----------------------
E|----------------------