#47910  by Billbbill

I'm not sure if jhc is still pokin around these parts - this was more than 3 years ago! There is a thread in here somewhere, probably the think tank, on how to determine the key of a song - most of the time.

#47976  by weirimpressed

I say its in the key of E.

The intro is just a 5-1-4 jam with the B, E, and A, all of which are majors.

The buildup is in B Mixo, further showing how it is in the Key of E because B-Mixo is the fifth mode of E-Ionian (did I say that correctly?)

Then it goes to the minor 2nd of E, the F#m, plus the chord buildup after that (E > F#m > A >B) is all in E.

I dont think this song could be in B, could it?

#47980  by strumminsix

weirimpressed wrote:I say its in the key of E.

The intro is just a 5-1-4 jam with the B, E, and A, all of which are majors.

The buildup is in B Mixo, further showing how it is in the Key of E because B-Mixo is the fifth mode of E-Ionian (did I say that correctly?)

Then it goes to the minor 2nd of E, the F#m, plus the chord buildup after that (E > F#m > A >B) is all in E.

I dont think this song could be in B, could it?
3 thoughts on this
1 - B mixo is actually E, yes?
2 - the F#m you reference is actually F#
3 - i don't think this song is in any key per say.

#47992  by weirimpressed

Strummin,

Yeah, B Mixo is in E, its the fifth mode of the E-Major (Ionian) scale correct? And yes, I meant an F#. The song should definitely be part of a key though, doesnt seem like it would be that hard to classify seeing as to how there arent many chords.
 #97445  by dkish

Wow its been a couple years since anyone posted to this. My two bits- I usually play in B mixolydian, dropping back to the A lydian (same key starting on A) for the "She wore Scarlet begonias.." bit (sometimes I work in the E major pentatonic scale as well), the bridge I'm not so sure about, but I'd be willing to bet its in E major. Keep Raging the Dead tunes!