#111294  by Jon S.

I'll be playing the slide parts. Neck 'bucker full on into compressor into Screamer - does that sound right? Also, are there any posted lead transcriptions? Not that the slide parts are overly complex but it always helps to see others' phrasings. Thanks!
 #111301  by jeffm725

Are you talking just playing the slide chords and fills or Jerry's actual leads on Slide? Jerry plays a lot more slide in that tune than Bobby.
 #111303  by Jon S.

The plan is for me to keep the slide on, and perform all of the slide parts, for the entire song. Our other guitarist will sing and play the chords.
 #111305  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:The plan is for me to keep the slide on, and perform all of the slide parts, for the entire song. Our other guitarist will sing and play the chords.
Did you edit your original post? If not, my apologies - I totally misread it! I've worked out a hybrid type of slide in the past and learned:
- long uplisdes slides in the musical part
- lots off 2 hits then new note in the verses
- lots of note, half step down, note, then a lower note in the chorus
- many downslides in the solo

If that helps at all.
 #111306  by Jon S.

gr8fullfred wrote:Take it off the list? :lol:
No way, Bro' - it's a ****ing cool little rocker. :)
 #111307  by Jon S.

strumminsix wrote:
Jon S. wrote:The plan is for me to keep the slide on, and perform all of the slide parts, for the entire song. Our other guitarist will sing and play the chords.
Did you edit your original post? If not, my apologies - I totally misread it! I've worked out a hybrid type of slide in the past and learned:
- long uplisdes slides in the musical part
- lots off 2 hits then new note in the verses
- lots of note, half step down, note, then a lower note in the chorus
- many downslides in the solo

If that helps at all.
No edits to my original post!

I must admit, I'm not certain I'm following all of that but thanks nonetheless, I will get by. I've been playing slide on some Allman Bros. songs for years. Also some acoustic slide (there in open tunings). Passenger is doable though I'll still accept a tab if I find one!
 #111309  by jeffm725

Here is my advice:

1)Jerry (Obviously) improv'd his slide lines in every version. Its A major Pentatonic with a small side helping of blue notes and sliding up and down to and from the 7th (G).
I would find a version you like and pick out a couple solid riff's from that version, steal them, and build on those. Try to fool around by playing the vocal line on slide as a soloing starting point

And actually if I may be so bold with the following statement: Sometimes it easier to cop Jerry stuff from someone who has already copped it. Some Grateful Dead performances are so wildly varying it can be tough to get a handle on the "important parts"
In this case may I recommend any furthur version of Passenger, because to my ears John K has distilled the essence of what Jerry was doing in to a consistent, easy to hear format.

2) Furthurmore (/pun) the other item that I think is absolutely vital to passenger is the Non-slide single note riffs Jerry (or JK) does during the "Upside out /Inside Down...." part. That is a tricky little passage and that part right there will make or break the tune if attention to detail is not paid . You can nail the leads and the vocals and what not, and if those lick turnarounds are wrong, the song falls apart. It is worth getting right. Again I would recommend checking out what JK does there because he does it the SAME every time.

After using JK's interpretation has your starting point and internalizing, I would then go take a listen to some of your favorite GD passengers and tweak to taste.
 #111310  by Jon S.

Great advice, Jeff, I'll use all of it.
 #111333  by tcsned

We do that tune too, it is a rockin' tune. I play the "Jerry" part. The slide part is mostly A major pentatonic though using the 4th and a flatted 7. Jerry seemed to play mostly around the melody - the slide solo that is. I like starting on the F# on the 19th fret on the B string then down to the E on the 17th fret then play the G and B strings sliding from the 12th to the 15th fret . . . Usually :D at least I try to keep the melody running through my head so if I don't play the melody I phrase the notes similarly.

I'm a ring finger slide player by nature but this tune requires non-slide playing too so using the pinky is pretty essential for me.
 #111335  by Pete B.

I would work out with the Album version until I could consistantly play in tune with it (it's the most in-tune version).
imho, Playing slide "in tune" with the rest of the band, should be the main goal.
 #113146  by Jon S.

jeffm725 wrote:2) Furthurmore (/pun) the other item that I think is absolutely vital to passenger is the Non-slide single note riffs Jerry (or JK) does during the "Upside out /Inside Down...." part. That is a tricky little passage and that part right there will make or break the tune if attention to detail is not paid . You can nail the leads and the vocals and what not, and if those lick turnarounds are wrong, the song falls apart. It is worth getting right. Again I would recommend checking out what JK does there because he does it the SAME every time.
Curious - has anyone anywhere done tabs for these particular licks?
 #113171  by jeffm725

Jon S. wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:2) Furthurmore (/pun) the other item that I think is absolutely vital to passenger is the Non-slide single note riffs Jerry (or JK) does during the "Upside out /Inside Down...." part. That is a tricky little passage and that part right there will make or break the tune if attention to detail is not paid . You can nail the leads and the vocals and what not, and if those lick turnarounds are wrong, the song falls apart. It is worth getting right. Again I would recommend checking out what JK does there because he does it the SAME every time.
Curious - has anyone anywhere done tabs for these particular licks?
Jon, are you familiar with a piece of software called Transcribe? Great tool for slowing down and looping parts that you want to learn.
I would do a quick dirty tab for you but I am woodshedding so much for some out-of-my-comfort zone gigs with bands I dont normally play with and am killing myself in the woodshed,.... actually a little Passenger break would probably do me good! I've been trying to cop Melvin Sparks licks all day and its driving me batty, he was unreal, I suck at it and I have to be fluent in it VERY soon!
RE passenger riffs... If I can get at 'em easily I will do it. What version are you using to learn from? If you could email or dropbox me an mp3 of your version (or tell me where you got it from so we can be on the same page and I dont tab something that is different than what you are listening to) I could take a few minute break...

email= jeffm725 AT yahoo.com