#23250  by whitelacestrange

yea so i've been in school for about a week now. iv always heard UAlbany was like the #1 party school but didnt fully understand that untill i got here. i've been here for a week and already went to like a years worth of insane parties and raves and shit, everyone listes to good music here, literally everyone smokes bud, its like a live at a party. its gona be so hard to do work here, i already dropped my morning class cause my hangovers just awful every morning.

i really gotta find a balnce between school and partying, anyone else have this problem in college?

#23253  by broomhead

your generation has it a "little" easier... :-) try adding spring, winter, fall dead tours and a slew of Jerry shows to that mix.

I went off to college right out of high school. A week later my mail order tix for the first few shows of fall tour came in. At the time it didn't even warrant a second thought, I had my roommate pack what I left behind and I was off.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find that balance and things got a little wild for the next decade (understatement of the millennium) a little state sponsored vacation, the unfortunate passing of the big guy and a few years of wisdom later, I was able to put it all together and finish up.

I wish you the best... Now go do your homework..
Joe :-)

#23254  by strumminsix

Take this with a grain of salt....

In my group of friends and musicians I know many who went to college right out of school, many began college later in the 20s/30s, and many who never went to college.

I see a repeating pattern with them all:
HS>College people got their degree quickly, began careers, sit well financially by 30, more relaxed life.

HS>Party>Work>College people struggle greatly in their 20s and 30s, their jobs aren't paying adult salaries or are ones they cannot count on, struggle to work a full-time job and goto school, feel frustrated, and takes them like 8 years to graduate and don't start thier "careers" until mid to late 30s.

HS>Workforce people are general more relaxed but working manual labor and seem to be happy with not sitting in an office. But at the same time they know that they are one injury away from trouble.

Bottom line = stay in school. A few years of partying will be insignificant to 10 years or more of struggling.

#23257  by CaptainTrips

Yeah I went to UAlbany . . . briefly , . . and yeah its a hell of a party school. loads of hot chicks too, loads.

#23258  by jackr

I couldnt resist the partying temptation in school. I didnt last one year. I struggled needlessly for many years after that.

My advice would be to confine your parting to when you have no responsibilities. For example, on weekends if you dont have studying to do.

It is hard to all of a sudden be on your own away from your parents and not want to take advantage of it. However, you are no child anymore and their are now real consiquences to your actions.

The fact that you came on this forum and addressed this issue is something I commend you for. I wouldnt have done it, I was not that bright. It sounds to me like you have a good head on your shoulders, use it wisely.

#23259  by AugustWest

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by the first year party lifestyle. (sorry I kept thinking of howl when I was reading this thread)

Been there and I still haven't finished school. I curse myself everyday for not being smarter about my first two years. The partying did not help things but really the reason was I ran out of money. So I started working full time for what I thought was a little while, then I liked it and got into the groove. However My wife was smart and got her degree so now we have the money for me to go back. I use to work 6 days a week and make only a third of what she makes in 4 days of work. I already have 90 credit hours so it should not take to long. However I only take night classes and one day of classes becuase I still like my job, and did not feel like quiting. Have fun. But be careful man. Or you won't be around very long.

#23261  by whitelacestrange

CaptainTrips wrote:Yeah I went to UAlbany . . . briefly , . . and yeah its a hell of a party school. loads of hot chicks too, loads.
AMEN BRLOTHER!! i got two floors of the sweetest ass i've ever stared and daydreamed about. im havin fun but i am doin my work, i just hope i can keep it together. thanks for the advice guys

#23264  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Good luck in school, here are a few simple rules to live by and for the record I graduated University of Rochester with a 3.0 GPA and partied like it was 1999.

Morning classes - Never. There is always a way around the schedule to accommodate hangovers.

Women - You will never be in an environment with more attractive and morally challenged women in your life again. Take advantage of this fact.

Bonghits - While waking and baking is something I did pretty much on a daily basis, it does wear you out by mid day. Therefore I suggest buying a nice coffee machine for your room. To go a step further, invest in a nice espresso machine and the women in your dorm will be there every day.

#23265  by whitelacestrange

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:Good luck in school, here are a few simple rules to live by and for the record I graduated University of Rochester with a 3.0 GPA and partied like it was 1999.

Morning classes - Never. There is always a way around the schedule to accommodate hangovers.

Women - You will never be in an environment with more attractive and morally challenged women in your life again. Take advantage of this fact.

Bonghits - While waking and baking is something I did pretty much on a daily basis, it does wear you out by mid day. Therefore I suggest buying a nice coffee machine for your room. To go a step further, invest in a nice espresso machine and the women in your dorm will be there every day.
yea i've already solved that problem, i already have 18 credits for college from takin AP's in hight school, so i gave myself a present and dropped my 9:20am creative writing class, now i dont have class untill 11:30 everyday, and only 2 classes a day. also i have somehow built up the wilpower to ot smoke or drink untill im done with all my classes. actually im really opening up to you guys by saying this, but i got heavily into doing cocaine this summer, and i only kicked the habit about 2 weeks ago, and its not around at all here! not around=no temptation, so if anything college is helping me right now, i've been alot more clear headed since im not coming down of coke everynight. at least i learned my lesson early right? i was actually very scared i would get into that shit again in college but now that i'm here i think it will be good, i've just sen so many of my friends drop out of college and now their at some community college workin at gamestop. i really dont want that hassel.

#23269  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Good move white lace, Coke is an IQ test, if you are still doing it, you have failed. That is what Paul Kantner from Jefferson Airplane said and I always thought that pretty much summed it up.

Totally a dead end drug. Not to sound preachy at all for I have certainly done my share, but I have seen many people go down and in the end, it isn't all that great a buzz.

Good move laying off of that stuff, and enjoy school man. Sounds like you have it all together. Keep us posted.

remember rule 2 regarding women.

#23273  by 1960strat

Agreed with the other posters. Steer clear of the white drugs. You really can party your ass off and do well. I was a prime example. I drank at least 5 nights a week, and smoked an abundant amount of weed. Throw in shrooms and acid and you got college. I also pulled 3.9's for my last 2 years. Believe me, its gets easier. The first year is tough. but you will get the groove.

#23279  by phpbb

My theory is somewhat like Stummin's in that I got school out of the way, but then I did a five year tenure as a ski bum where I really did my partying and touring. When I got to my 30's I started my career, now, being 40, I am getting my masters and cleaning up the house so to speak.

No matter what, the difference between me and strummin's style is that my peers are all five years younger than me. Meaning, those ski bum years, as great as they were, do count against me in a corporate kinda way.

In terms of women, if they are hotter than the University of Colorado's then good fucking luck.

#23280  by blombie

Freshman year was tough. Got a 1.6 my second semester. The bottom line is you have to do some work. Once classes start things should mellow a little. Go to the library in the evenings to do some work say 7- 9 or 10. Then have a few drinks and what ever but stay reasonable during the week. Friday and saturday you can go crazy, althought i agree white podwers are bad news. Remember you cant burn the candle at both ends for too long before you burn out.
Have fun Good luck

#23316  by Erictw83

Ahh.. freshman year of college. Those were the days! I could party my ass of and still get by with a 3.0 whilst enlisting dirty white powder to aid in early morning homework sessions and only showing up to take exams. Six years later i graduated, now I'm out in Boulder for graduate school in atmospheric and oceanic science, so I should be all business now right? But its damn hard to be all business when I can go mountain biking everyday, all the women are ridiculously gorgeous, and my old friend from back home I connected with out here tells me about the vial of clean cid in his freezer. Jeez, it just never gets any easier does it? I guess I have to set priorities... one of which is to learn to ski.

#23317  by Erictw83

phpbb wrote:
In terms of women, if they are hotter than the University of Colorado's then good fucking luck.
Dude, totally, totally, totally agreed!! I love it :cool: