#119892  by pappypgh

Hey guys, long time! Hope my ol' compadres are doing well. :-)

So, again, theCAUSE is having a dispute on a chord. This time Black Peter - the bridge, in particular. This site, as well as JDARKS has this portion listed with a D MAJOR (this is the chord in question)...

D...............G.................C........C/B.....Am
Sun coming up and then the sun it going down

Now, I've listened (now, very recently due to this discussion) to many versions - including "Dozin' At The Knick" which is clean as a whistle and everyone in the band is together, the version from "What A Long Strange Trip It's Been" which is an incredibly clear acoustic live version - where that first D is actually a Dm....played by the whole band, not just one. IMO, it's a Dm which compliments the F that kicks off the next line, AND if you listent to Jerry's walk-down riff from the previous chord (which is an Em), his notes are E-F-E-D. To land on a D major sounds absolutely horrible after that riff!!

So, I say it's this:

Dm..............G.................C........C/B.....Am
Sun coming up and then the sun it going down

What say you people?!
 #119895  by pappypgh

Thanks Jedi!

One for me.

I see you play the full Em before the Am, too - I typically do that ol' C walk down C > C/B > Am

:cool:
 #119908  by pappypgh

SETTLED by John Kadlecik!
from John K

D over "sun coming..." is def Dm... complicated somewhat by the melody/Jerry vocal part being on an E on "sun"...

"going down" btw is not C/B but either Em7/B or Bmsus4
So you were pretty much right as well, Jedi! :lol:
 #119909  by Tennessee Jedi

pappypgh wrote:SETTLED by John Kadlecik!
from John K

D over "sun coming..." is def Dm... complicated somewhat by the melody/Jerry vocal part being on an E on "sun"...

Me thinks I am prob playing something similar to you - I do a single note-y thing over the C / Em / Am- I just call it Em ...
:smile:
 #119934  by pappypgh

Also got a nice email from JDarks telling me, "HEY! You're right" and he's updating his site. :cool:
 #119937  by Rusty the Scoob

from John K

What's wrong with singing an E note over a Dm? You could call it either a 9th or a Sus note or both, depending on where it resolves.
 #119941  by rugger

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
from John K

What's wrong with singing an E note over a Dm? You could call it either a 9th or a Sus note or both, depending on where it resolves.
Well, I don't think he said anything is "wrong," just that it complicates it. In a different context singing a 2 (or a 9) can be tricky, maybe not as much in this case because we all know the melody so well.

I need to add that this bridge is a great piece of songwriting, imo.

john in san diego
 #119953  by pappypgh

Yeah, certainly nothing wrong with it! Just makes it harder to decipher for some (like Tourpro & Dave... :lol: )...just kidding. Anyway, I completely agree - this bridge is MIGHTY fine songwriting....
 #144268  by dleonard

Haven't been playing with any other humans for a while now, so lately I've been giving it a go at learning a bunch of stuff I can pull off by myself on an acoustic. I have to echo what the previous posters in this thread were saying. Genius songwriting. The bridge in this is just so much fun to play. The Dm and F chords towards the end on both the "come arounds" are so perfect and really show how sophisticated of songwriters they were.
 #144269  by tcsned

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
from John K

I always played a G/B (X-2-0-0-3-X) which is essentially the same as a Em7/B.