#46773  by darksun

in the album set, "Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead", performed at Fillmore East in '72, Jerry puts out a nice fill for the intro for Not fade away, when they play it following goin down the road.

It is played in between three down-strokes of a standard open "E" Chord, in place of an open A Chord. Try it.

(again, please forgive my tab skillz)

E--0-0-0-------12--0-0-0--12------
B--0-0-0--7/9------0-0-0----9/7-5-
G--1-1-1-----------1-1-1----------
D--2-2-2-----------2-2-2----------
A--2-2-2-----------2-2-2----------
E--0-0-0-----------0-0-0----------x2

The last fill, the "E" not on the "B" String can be played on an open e as well, but i found that it sounded better as played on the B strings instead of open. Sometimes I would get a nasty hammer off E to B sound that I didnt want, but none the less the open E does sound different imo than the fifth fret E.

Also, a pull off from G# to F also seems to work in place of a slide in the second fill.

Tell me what you guys think!

#46784  by sarraqum

Nice

If you wanted to you could also throw in a cheeky B on the 12th fret before hitting that high E, also on the 12th.
 #74790  by darksun

lol... after learning a little more about guitar, i've re-written what i posted a couple years ago.

this sounds much better...
E-----------------12---------------12---------------5--x----
B-9--9--9--7/9------- 9--9--9-------9p7-------9--5--x--9
G-9--9--9--------------9--9--9----------- 9----9--6--x--9
D-9--9--9--------------9--9--9------------------9--7--x--9
A-7--7--7--------------7--7--7------------------7--7--x--7
E-----------------------------------------------------5---x----
 #74792  by Billbbill

haven't listened to this but from looking at your tab I'd guess it was all happening at the 12th fret. Instead of 7/9 on the b then 12 on the e - I'd guess it's 12 or 13/14 on the g then the 12 on the e - I'd bet the 4 fret move from the 9 on the b to the 12 on the e isn't as jerryesque as what I noted - try it.

Of course I haven't listened so I could be entirely full of it. :smile:
 #74793  by Billbbill

OK - thought I didn't have lagtgd but I do - tehe - just listened - it's a third solution!

forgot jg was at this time in his more major scale oriented nfa licks, riffs and solos - I do think it's off the 9th fret with a bend on the g - index finger barres the 9th d,g & b strings - ring finger bends the g and the pinky takes care of the 12's.

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|----------12-----12-------------
B|----------12---------------
G|--11b13------------13r11--9-----
D|--------------------------
A|--------------------------
E|--------------------------

this repeats and then this in between

keep the index finger barring the 9th fret until the slide back below from the 11\9 then 7 on the a string

E|-----------
B|-----------
G|--------9--
D|--9h11-----
A|-----------
E|-----------

2nd time

E|------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------
G|--------9-------9-----9--------------
D|--9h11---------9h11-----9-----------
A|------------------------------11\9--7--
E|------------------------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

totally major oriented - unlike later on when it leaned much more toward minor pentatonic and mixolydian/major scale morphing.

move the first portion back and massage the lick a bit and you have the playing in the band riff during the verse off the D on the 7th fret
 #74847  by darksun

move the first portion back and massage the lick a bit and you have the playing in the band riff during the verse off the D on the 7th fret
oops forgot to quote