A||.--------------------------.||
F||-------2----------2---------|| Repeat 6x
C||----2-----2----2-----2------|| 
G||.-0---------0-----------0--.||
D||----------------------------|| 

A             G          Em              A
Cold mountain water, the jade merchant's daughter,
A                G             Em              A
Mountains of the moon, Electra bow and bend to me.
A         G            Em            A
Hi ho the carrion crow fol de rol de riddle
A         G            Em              A
Hi ho the carrion crow bow and bend to me.

D        A      D     A
Hey, Tom Banjo, hey a laurel,
Em               A
More than laurel you may sow.
Em               A
More than laurel you may sow.
Em7      D       A/C#     Bm  E/G#   A
Hey, the laurel, hey the city in the rain,
D    A/C#  G      D/A        A/G    F#m    Em7
Hey, hey, hey the wild wheat waving in the wind.

Twenty degrees of solitude, twenty degrees in all,
All the dancing kings and wives assembled in the hall.
Lost is the long and loneliest town fairly sybil flying.
All along the, all along the mountains of the moon.

Hey, Tom Banjo it's time to matter,
The earth will see you on through this time,
The earth will see you on through this time.                                            Down by the water, the Marsh King's daughter, did you know
Clothed in tatters always will be. Tom, where did you go?

Mountains of the moon, Electra, mountains of the moon,
All along the, all along the mountains of the moon.
Hi ho the carrion crow fol de rol de riddle
Hi ho the carrion crow bow and bend to me.

Em
Bend to me.
Na da da da da da da da da da da da.

#14527  by tigerstrat

Cool! Any chance you could also post the chord shapes as they are played in the altered tuning?

#14538  by Trystine

That's really cool...say, what do you call that tuning anyways.

Another fun one is Dupree's in Open D.

#14543  by b weird

All the chords are standard open position chords. Also since there are some unusual chords in the song Jguitar.com is a good place to go to find chords. As for the tuning name I have no clue what the name is.

#14560  by Jimkkc

I'm a little confused here. The first post says that this is Mntns of the Moon in non-standard tuning, then the last post says the chords are all standard open position. If the song is truly in a altered tuning, then the chords wouldn't be standard open position, right?

My guess is that the tuning would either be open d (low to high: dadf#ad) or dsus4 tuning (low to high: dadgad)

Open D Chord forms:
A = bar all strings at the 7th fret
G = bar all strings at the 5ht fret
Em = Middle Finger 2nd fret 2nd string
Ring Finger 2nd Fret 4th string
Pinky 2nd fret 2nd string
F#m = Move Em shape up 2 frets and add 1st finger to the 3rd string 2nd fret
Bm = move up Em shape so the root is at the 9th fret and add the first finger to the 3rd string 7th fret

Hope this makes sense; without a guitar in my hands it is tough to visualize the a/c# and the other major chords with the altered bass note. The nice thing about open tunings is that once you figure out the basic major and minor shapes they are moveable and easy to find if you keep the root note in mind.

Anyway, hope this helps more than confuses.

#14566  by b weird

I took the song right from my Garcia/ Hunter Songbook so the chords I put were the ones listed in the book. Also if anyone wants "What's Become Of The Baby" I could try and tab it out. It sound really nice to bad they didn't leave it the way it was.

#14568  by Jimkkc

Oh wait - my apologies; I didn't notice the notes listed next to the staff at the top of your first post . . .

Now that I have noticed the notes listed, I too have no idea what that tuning is - it looks like a combination of several D tunings . . . but no specific tuning comes to mind.

#14569  by jck_strw

I think I get it now. Each note is dropped a whole note. The formatting moved the high E (here, D) out of whack.

So it's:

D
A
F
C
G
D

That makes sense I think.

#14573  by shakedown_04092

Don't know if this is right, but could it be Dropped-D tuning? And I think you'd just play the chords as you normally would. Then again, I could be wrong. :?

A guy I used to play with liked to tune down a whole step (as above) because he said it was easier to sing in that tuning, and he said a lot of bands did that (which I don't find to be true). But all you do is just tune down a whole step and play the chords as you normally would.

#14580  by hesgone95

I believe Dropped D tuning is just the low E tuned down a whole step. I don't know if this tuning here has a name persay, it's not really altered, just all the notes are tuned down a whole step. Could be wrong though, it's happened before :D

#14589  by shakedown_04092

hesgone95 wrote:I believe Dropped D tuning is just the low E tuned down a whole step. I don't know if this tuning here has a name persay, it's not really altered, just all the notes are tuned down a whole step. Could be wrong though, it's happened before :D
Nope, yer right. My bad for the above post. But....I do think you play the chords in the same spot. No guitar on hand, so I can't confirm this.

#14591  by hesgone95

shakedown_04092 wrote:
hesgone95 wrote:I believe Dropped D tuning is just the low E tuned down a whole step. I don't know if this tuning here has a name persay, it's not really altered, just all the notes are tuned down a whole step. Could be wrong though, it's happened before :D
Nope, yer right. My bad for the above post. But....I do think you play the chords in the same spot. No guitar on hand, so I can't confirm this.
Yeah, you're right about the positions, the only thing different is the name. An open A played in this tuning would be a G. The same idea as a capo, just down instead of up. Also I looked it up and according to Wikipedia Dropped D can also include the high e tuned down to d.

#14603  by Billbbill

Mystery solved. It's not a mystery.
 #62715  by prephippie

Looks like Jerry is using those chords here:

Great video BTW.
Hef: The guys are near their instruments and the kids have kinda settled down. I wonder if we could get you to do a number for us?

Jerry: Absolutely not.
:lol:
 #62754  by amyjared

A guy I used to play with liked to tune down a whole step (as above) because he said it was easier to sing in that tuning, and he said a lot of bands did that (which I don't find to be true).
Great vid! I always like watching that one. I used to have a guitar that I tuned down a whole step because it is easier to sing and I know of a some songs that sound WAY better that way. It is also a great way to play along with another guitarist and sound cool, since you're playing the same "chords" but in different voicings. Also, you just capo at 2nd fret and you play along with anyone.

As for songs that were done that way:
The Joker
almost every song by the Velvet Underground, i.e., Sunday Morning, Sweet Jane, Heroin, Rock and Roll, etc.
Most of CCR including Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary and Lodi
Many Neil Young songs like Hey, Hey, My, My, Sugar Mountain, Rocking in the Free World

If you play these songs in this way, it really gives you that exact sound that seems to be missing when you do it in "standard" tuning.