#15953  by Stagger Lee

I know this is an old topic but how can NO ONE mention 8-1-73?

It's fuckin fantastic

Also the only Dew played in 1978 is pretty hot, can't remember the date though.
 #47611  by BlueRidgeGitar

I know it's been over a year since anyone posted here and not sure how much traffic this forum gets now, but I have to weigh in on the 9-18-87 Dew. IMHO, there is no "best" Dew, just like there is no "best" show -- way too many to choose from and it's all subjective, anyway.
But the band's rendition on Sept. 18, 1987 is clearly one of the standout performances of this song, just like those at the Cow Palace 74, Cornell 77 and Berkeley 88.
I DL the show a month or so ago after it was recommended here, and to be honest, it actually didn't impress me all that much until the first lead. What made it really stand out, though, was the second lead -- after a throaty "guess it doesn't matter..." that he lets linger just long enough to pump the crowd up to that next level, Jerry breaks in to the lead with some kind of Syknyrd-esque guitar sound I'm not sure I'd ever heard from him before or since. The entire lead is just off the charts. But the real treat... the thing that really makes it stand out... the part where I broke into not only a wide-eyed grin,but a wtf laugh while trying to keep my car from careening off Interstate 81... is that hard core tapping he does at the climax (not sure if he's really "tapping" there, but whatever -- you know what I mean if you've heard it), followed by some rapid-fire, Hendrix-channeling shredding that for a second made me think of the lead in Radiohead's Paranoid Android (of all things). The energy was just amazing -- it's like this 45-year-old guitarist was suddenly feeling 20 again and wanted to see how fast and furious he could go. The rest of the band really rose to the occasion behind him, too. I think Jerry probably wanted to keep it going -- he seemed surprised when they brought it on home, as he ended up missing the first few words of the last "guess it doesn't matter..." Not sure if that's really the case, of course -- the boys by this point had for years been reading each others minds and communicating with a simple nod or bow or step to the mike, but they of course got out of sync and missed each other's cues every now and then.
Anyway, the really freaky part of this whole thing is that I was actually at that show and don't remember this Dew AT ALL. I actually went through my ticket stubs to make sure that this was one of the ones I caught at that MSG run and it was. Granted, I was indulging in quite a bit of extracurricular chemicals at this point in my life, but I would have thought I'd have remembered that performance. Just glad I got to hear it again after all these years. Thank you RUK and thank you archive.

#47616  by pappypgh

WOW, this IS an old thread!!

I'm gonna chime in and dust the cobwebs off it, too! First of all, so many people dissing the 5/8/77 show. The show, as a whole, is just okay. Kinda lackluster in some big opportunity spaces. BUT...the Dew is sickleberry. Say what you will about the Scarlet > Fire being nothing more than Phil swells, but the Dew is my favorite from the Keith era.

Second, there's an awful lot to be said for the Dews from the late 60s - 71, as well. I love those ones - very different from any era, that's for sure. Great spacey feel....BUT....there will never be a Dew like a well-played version from the Brent era. If anyone here is going to compare the energy from Keith's piano or Pig's organ to what Brent Mydland used to do on this song with his B-3, you're simply on crack. Get off the crack. :shock:

Brent Mydland turned this song on its ear. The list goes on and on and on....

7/15/88, 9/18/87, 11/2/85 (out of space - SICKNESS!), 10/8/89...come on, people. Did Brent EVER play this song using piano sounds? No. Why? Because this song is BEGGING for a thundering, ripping, ear-scorching, massive-swelling Hammond-motherf*ckin'-B-freakin'-3 organ. That's why.

Why Keith Godchaux only chose to use the organ in the studio is beyond me. This band was made for a B-3, IMO.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I've said my peace (albeit a year too late!!) :roll:

#47628  by jonarobb

Always great to dust off a Morning Dew thread....

Listen to the Salt Palace 2/28/73. Check out in particular Kreutzmann doing the John Bonham thing out of the breakdown before Jerry's first solo. It's the sickest rock drumming I've ever heard from him.

#47629  by pappypgh

jonarobb wrote:Always great to dust off a Morning Dew thread....

Listen to the Salt Palace 2/28/73. Check out in particular Kreutzmann doing the John Bonham thing out of the breakdown before Jerry's first solo. It's the sickest rock drumming I've ever heard from him.
Will do - I assume it's on Archive.org?

STILL tho....it's missing a B-3... :roll:

#47630  by pappypgh

OOOOOPS! It's DP28....I don't have it, but I'll try to find someone that does.

Thanks for the suggestion!

#47633  by Dozin

I'm still a SPAC dew lover but I'm going to visit that 9/87 show that you mentioned. September 87 was smoking! The 3 nights in Providence were unbelievable.

#47636  by bodiddley

I love SPAC '83 as well, and 7-15-88.

Do not miss 3-27-94. In my opinion, the last epic Dew, and I pretty much dislike most post Brent GD.

#47646  by bucketorain

5-30-69 Springers Inn, Portland OR is quite good.

and I was listnen last night to 6-10-73 RFK.

both shows opened with Dew...
 #47725  by BlueRidgeGitar

Sickleberry? Love it! Never heard the term before -- where've I been, huh? But already one of my new favorite words. And yes indeedy, "sickleberry" is the perfect description for the Cornell 77 Dew. I agree, Pappy, that show has been way overhyped. A good show? Absolutely. A great show? Maybe. A spectacular show? Don't see it. The best ever? No such thing.

But I'd endorse that show as a top 20 just on the Dew alone.

#47732  by deadguise

At this time, the Cow Palace NYE 76/77 Dew is my favorite version for now...

#47742  by tigerstrat

The 2/21/69 encore has always topped my list of primal Dews. :cool:

#47743  by jonarobb

bucketorain wrote:5-30-69 Springers Inn, Portland OR is quite good.

and I was listnen last night to 6-10-73 RFK.

both shows opened with Dew...
I gave the 5.30.69 Dew a listen and was blown away. Thanks! Jerry still has that quiver in his voice. The rest of that show smokes as well. Did you check out the jam they do on the St Stephen vamp before they start singing?

#47752  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I am sure I may get some heat for this one, but personally speaking, the Dew from 6-14-92 at Giants Stadium blew my mind.

It may have been the mesc, it may have been Steve Miller adding a different timbre of guitar in the mix, it may have been the lunar eclipse I was looking at and Jerry's hair blowing in the wind.

I am sure it wasn't Vince though.

Jerry's voice was on that night, guitar as well. Too bad security guards were kicking ass all night.

Good thing I was a lean 215 back then and the guy I was sitting with was 6'5 315. Oh yeah, and the mescaline certainly assuaged any desire to join in the fisticuffs.

#47843  by Stagger Lee

If I had to pick 5....

8/1/73
9/10/74
4/27/77, used to be a video on youtube, but nomore, i'll take this one over the 5/8/77 :cool:
5/8/77
6/7/77