#97874  by gratefulchef

Help please. I'm kind of a new musician and trying to learn some Dead tunes. I've figured out most of A.M. Dew, except with the final ending chords. You know the kind of "shrill" ending chords that Jerry does? I know it's pretty high up on the neck. Maybe at the 15th or 17th frets? I know he ad libs a lot on the end. And by the time those chords start, the place is usually going nuts! Please help if you can suggest chords or riffs right towards the end of the song. Thanks so much! Great forum here..
 #97875  by myoung6923

Those chords at the end - the shreddy ones - are just F C Em D triads - rinse and repeat. That keeps repeating that part of the progression - the "I guess it doesn't matter" part.

The triads are all up above the 12th fret and there's a few different places that you can play them that create slightly different voicings.

Do a search for the CAGED method. It will teach you the main chord shapes and voicings all over the neck - and there you will find the triads that you are looking for!

Here's a video of us doing it and at the very end you can kinda make those chord shapes.
 #97880  by gratefulchef

First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Secondly, is this Mike from Fennarrio(assumed from the vid /screen name)? If so, I also wanted to say thank you, thank you for the show(sat night) after Furthur at the Orpheum in Boston. I was more than impressed, in fact pretty blown away. Really great stuff. Nailed in all aspects. I pleasant surprise and perfect to keep the night going just a bit more. If this is Fennario, and you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple of questions about gear. Where should I direct those? Thanks again. I hope to see you again out east! p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?
 #97882  by vwjodyme

Wow, awesome morning dew guys :cool:

I too was at that saturday show, but couldn't really hear anything from the bar area and it was soooo packed we were pretty much stuck where we were.
 #97885  by gratefulchef

strumminsix wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?
GC - I'm local. We should connect at some point.
Yeah man cool. I may even know or have seen you out here in Chicago. Been in the scene with DSO(early days/Martyrs $2.50 tues!), Mr. Blotto, Hack N' Wheeze, etc...
 #97888  by strumminsix

gratefulchef wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?
GC - I'm local. We should connect at some point.
Yeah man cool. I may even know or have seen you out here in Chicago. Been in the scene with DSO(early days/Martyrs $2.50 tues!), Mr. Blotto, Hack N' Wheeze, etc...
check your messages, dude!
 #97893  by myoung6923

gratefulchef wrote:First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Secondly, is this Mike from Fennarrio(assumed from the vid /screen name)? If so, I also wanted to say thank you, thank you for the show(sat night) after Furthur at the Orpheum in Boston. I was more than impressed, in fact pretty blown away. Really great stuff. Nailed in all aspects. I pleasant surprise and perfect to keep the night going just a bit more. If this is Fennario, and you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple of questions about gear. Where should I direct those? Thanks again. I hope to see you again out east! p.s.- Do you ever come to Chicago?
Thanks very much for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions about gear on here. There's an awful lot of folks that know an awful lot about an awful lot of gear! Or also feel free to send me an email - I'll pm you with my info

Peace!
 #97895  by JonnyBoy

Hands down killer version of Dew. I love the beginning when mike sings, the cloud of fog comes rolling in behind him "Walk me out in the morning dew...." priceless. :smile:
 #97902  by gratefulchef

myoung6923 wrote:
gratefulchef wrote:First of all, thank you so much. This really helps. I've actually played guitar for many years(mostly heavy metal and power chords back in the day). But I've never taken a lesson or learned any theory. I've loved and listened to the Dead for 20 years now and want to learn properly. In fact not only learn the style, but pick up the sound as well eventually(got my 78' MXR and Fender Twin reverb).

Thanks very much for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions about gear on here. There's an awful lot of folks that know an awful lot about an awful lot of gear! Or also feel free to send me an email - I'll pm you with my info

Peace!

Oops. If you haven't already, send an email again, I think I may have deleted it. And thanks again for your time and input...