#56786  by GratefulPat

i liked it overall, whoever was singing resembles jerr a little. the intro was bass heavy and chunky sounding, im not sure if thats the lead guitar or a bass. but overall it was good
 #56787  by 1960strat

Thanks for the feedback man... I was multitracking the singing parts, playing acoustic and bass. When you say chunky, you mean it should be more fluid? You are right it does sound a not all that fluid. I went and watched BillB's video on this and he has that part much smoother...
 #56790  by strumminsix

I really dig your take on this tune!
Love the bass being prominent, backing & accompanying.
Good job on your Ray Charles self backing!

However, your timing on the chord changes is off in the "tell me all that you know" part.
 #56809  by 1960strat

I listened to the acoustic version off this tune on Reckoning and Phil does a pretty boring run so i tried to spice it up a bit. The Ray Charles reference is funny, I did know he did his own back up vox. For me this is what happens when the band consists of me, myself and I...

In terms of being off on the chords of the pre-chorus, is it the acoustic guitar or the bass? I thought i had the guitar right and possibly wrong on the bass....

Thanks for the feedback.
 #56814  by strumminsix

1960strat wrote:I listened to the acoustic version off this tune on Reckoning and Phil does a pretty boring run so i tried to spice it up a bit. The Ray Charles reference is funny, I did know he did his own back up vox. For me this is what happens when the band consists of me, myself and I...

In terms of being off on the chords of the pre-chorus, is it the acoustic guitar or the bass? I thought i had the guitar right and possibly wrong on the bass....

Thanks for the feedback.
At one of his over the top perfectionist, tweaked out & womanizing recording sessions he got pissed at his mistress and the other back-up girls and booted them. Then did their 3 parts and his main line.

The bass is very fun to listen to on your recording! The guitar comes in a beat late. Then in the "Laugh in the sunshine" part it sounds like you have it right but I cannot hear for sure cuz you are playing it a bit softer!

Great job, though! I wish I could get my home recordings that good!
 #56821  by 1960strat

Thanks for the kind words.... I probably have to re-record all the parts and get them sync'd up better. I have an acoustic piano plug in coming today so i am thinking of putting a piano part to it too. I am glad you like the sound. I have a pretty extensive home studio.
 #57564  by Rusty the Scoob

Ok, I'm going to get picky about your bass playing... If you're trying to channel Phil, I'd shy away from doubling the guitar lines. He really doesn't do that very often - or very well, for that matter. :lol: You have to anchor the chord changes during the choruses and "tell me all that you know" parts, but under all the parts in E Phil would weave a fluid line based strictly on E major pentatonic (some tunes you can get away with passing or color tones but not this one) that works as a counterpoint to everything else that's going on. Phil liked to keep this song pretty simple to avoid it getting heavy, especially during that signature guitar lick which has a lot of motion to it already, but you can definitely use a line with more contrast the rest of the time.

Ok... Phil soapbox off, sorry! Your guitar and singing are very nice! I could never do that, especially the singing. You have about a million times better of a voice than I do! :hail:
 #57565  by 1960strat

Well i am definately not trying to channel Phil. I am a guitar play and not really a bass player.... hence my bass playing sounds like guitar. However, I think you are right that the guitar, bass and keys playing the same main riff is probably much. I am playing this tune in D but i think i am going to put the Reckoning version of this song on repeat and key into what phil does. If anyone has any other acoustic birdsongs that are cool let me know the dates.

Thanks for the compliment on the singing... it is actually what i am most self conscious about.