#46289  by Tennessee Jedi

Deep Space Nine ????
As in " Dude - did you hear Jerry go all Deep Space Nine during that Birdsong,man?"

:smile:

#46294  by hesgone95

TJ, I believe the proper way to express that using the slang I've been seeing recently on the site would be "did you hear Jerry go all sickleberry deep space nine on Birdsong?"

:hail: :lol:

#46295  by Tennessee Jedi

My friend Puffy McPuffington agrees -> :D
:lol: :lol:

#46313  by darksun

I've learned so much about the dead coming to these forums... i'm a relatively new dead fan... been listening to them only since 2005... and i'm too young to have made it to any dead concerts (Jerry died when I was 9).

So then I take it when BS was played in D, it was a rather rare thing, and most of the time this song was played in E?

Re:

#85720  by Chasing Light Beams

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:From "Garcia"

D------0-2-0---2-5-2-5-0------0-2-0---2-5-2---------------------------

A--0-3-------3------------0-3-------3-------3-3/5--------------

E--------------------------------------------------------------

he does take a few liberties with the order of the phrases in there sometimes but that is basically the call line and the response line. That last slide is the classic Jerry emphasized slide up which here says "hey, I really mean this D okay!"

And as far as the theory part of it goes, you are right, the tones are from the A minor pentatonic scale, which actually come from the A Dorian scale.

Here is the breakdown. The song is really based on the D7 chord Jerry rings out at the top. Dominant 7 chords should make you think Mixolydian, which is the 5th degree of the Major scale. In this case the key is actually G major which is A Dorian so there is where you get the A minor pentatonic scale.

So here think D7 = D mixolydian = G Ionian = A dorian = A minor pentatonic.
oh man this is gold! thanks so much for the insight!
 #85781  by Maybeck09

Hey thanks so much for that Vancouver show recommendation. (6/22/73). The whole thing is great- I just listened to it! Would have never found it otherwise!