#15602  by ronster

DSO in the video uses the G chord (not the Em as I showed) and it sounds right along with the G G# A transition for the new way of playing the song. So I'll change my question to when the Dead originally played this song (early 70's) in C did it go like this (this is the way I was taught it and all the tabs I've seen show it this way)
Code: Select all
A A# B)  C          (G G#) Am 
Me and my uncle went ridin' down, 
(A A# B)  C          (G G#) Am 
South Colorado, West Texas bound. 
(A A# B)  C          (G G#) Am 
We stopped over  in   Santa Fe, 
(A A# B)  C           (C B# C C# )   D
That bein' the point just about half way, 
Am (or C??)             E                   Am 
And you know it was the hottest part of the day. 

#35078  by myoung6923

Does anyone know what the VERY last chord is at the end of the song - you know... the one that's just a bit disonant or something

#35079  by Tennessee Jedi

I try to end it on a big E minor chord. :cool:

#35082  by pappypgh

Okiedokie, folkies....I'm gonna set the record straight for y'all. First of all, I love this tune. Second, I saw it at probably 10 of my 33 GD shows (I know that's a pretty small number in comparison to a bunch of you guys on this site, but it's a high percentage!!!). BUT, I did see it up close & personal about 8 of those 10 performances. I'm a Bob Weir-a-holic, when it comes to chords. Let's assume that we're talking about how BOBBY plays this tune, rather than how Jerry played it - especially since Garcia picked over the whole tune, for the most part!

Here's how it went from 1987 - 1995. Can't tell you EXACTLY how it was played before then, as my first show was in 87, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed too much, other than the intro, since they started playing it way back when.

The Asus4 you guys are talking about is incorrect. It's a bop back between A - G - A. I picked this up the first time I saw Bobby do it. When he DIDN'T go back to the G, he simply held the A...but mostly went back to the G....SO....

_________G_________________Em
Me & my uncle went ridin' down
___________G________________Em
South Colorado - West Texas bound
___________G_____________Em
We stopped over in Santa Fe
_______________G_______________________A___G___A
That bein' the point - just about halfway
________G___________________B7___________________Em
Hey and you know it was the hottest part of the day

B7 Em

Finally, the last chord of the song is an Em9, but you play the F# note in the middle, rather than on top. So, I guess you could call it an Em/F#. It's played like this:

1 - o
2 - o
3 - o
4 - 4
5 - 2
6 - o

That funky sounding note (very prominent especially when they would transition to another 'cowboy' tune) is an F# played on the D string, if you're playing an open Em.

That's my $0.02 :-)

#35083  by myoung6923

Thanks pappy!

#35085  by Dozin

B7 Em

I don't believe they play the B7 Em at the end of the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th verse. They hang in the Em. The only time they played the B7 Em right before the jam. Coming out of the Jam and at the end of the song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_tsRAadTmE[/youtube]

#35086  by pappypgh

Dozin - you are indeed correct...sorry I didn't put that in there earlier....GD typically only went to that B7 - Em resolve right BEFORE the jam (after 3rd verse) and AFTER the jam (verses 4,5 & 6) We do it every time, but that's simply to keep things simple.

:D

PS - RONSTER - they never did it in C....must be a pretty sped-up tape you got there!! All the 71 versions I have are G > Em....

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#35092  by mkaufman

Hey Billbbill: are you still around? Are you still in lower Westchester? I'm there too...

Michael
Billbbill wrote:I play like a dis

Intro
Em---B-Em

Verse
G-Em 3x

G-G#-A-G-A

G--B--Em---B-Em

I sub B7 for B here and there.

#35120  by kevo

pappypgh wrote:
PS - RONSTER - they never did it in C....must be a pretty sped-up tape you got there!! All the 71 versions I have are G > Em....

Not to mention they started playing the song before the early 70's.

#44494  by sack the wack

Yo Pappy, thet Em/F# is the infamous 'Death Chord'

#44498  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote: Finally, the last chord of the song is an Em9, but you play the F# note in the middle, rather than on top. So, I guess you could call it an Em/F#. It's played like this:

1 - o
2 - o
3 - o
4 - 4
5 - 2
6 - o
Hmmm, that chord works. Here is what I use:

1 - o
2 - 2
3 - o
4 - 2
5 - 2
6 - o

#44506  by pappypgh

SS - that chord would work behind what I play, for sure. You're putting in a C# note in there. The F# note over Em is 100% what JERRY plays....you may be playing what Bobby does behind him tho - I never tried to figure that out. :cool:

#44511  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote:SS - that chord would work behind what I play, for sure. You're putting in a C# note in there. The F# note over Em is 100% what JERRY plays....you may be playing what Bobby does behind him tho - I never tried to figure that out. :cool:
Oh ya, sorry I wasn't clear, that was my Bobby chord for the ending!

Re:

#91493  by seamones

pappypgh wrote:Okiedokie, folkies....I'm gonna set the record straight for y'all. First of all, I love this tune. Second, I saw it at probably 10 of my 33 GD shows (I know that's a pretty small number in comparison to a bunch of you guys on this site, but it's a high percentage!!!). BUT, I did see it up close & personal about 8 of those 10 performances. I'm a Bob Weir-a-holic, when it comes to chords. Let's assume that we're talking about how BOBBY plays this tune, rather than how Jerry played it - especially since Garcia picked over the whole tune, for the most part!

Here's how it went from 1987 - 1995. Can't tell you EXACTLY how it was played before then, as my first show was in 87, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed too much, other than the intro, since they started playing it way back when.

The Asus4 you guys are talking about is incorrect. It's a bop back between A - G - A. I picked this up the first time I saw Bobby do it. When he DIDN'T go back to the G, he simply held the A...but mostly went back to the G....SO....

B7 Em

Finally, the last chord of the song is an Em9, but you play the F# note in the middle, rather than on top. So, I guess you could call it an Em/F#. It's played like this:

1 - o
2 - o
3 - o
4 - 4
5 - 2
6 - o

That funky sounding note (very prominent especially when they would transition to another 'cowboy' tune) is an F# played on the D string, if you're playing an open Em.

That's my $0.02 :-)

So when did the A-G-A come into play? Its not in this 85 version or am I missing something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uknUcby4Y4
 #91495  by strumminsix

I disagree on the A-G-A. The middle accent is a D but at times he holds the A. Just watched a few vids of it.

A is shaped off the 9th fret with a C form
D is shaped off the 10th fret with an E form

Due to his big hands you barely see the change.