#48112  by Tennessee Jedi

hhhmmm.
Not too sure all though I thought it was "Moaning low".
(which makes no sense)
Makes no sense to you but maybe the writer ?
:D :D

#48115  by pappypgh

I always thought it was "holding low", since he's playing cards. :roll:

#48118  by pappypgh

By the way - to the original poster....

"Don't you push me baby, 'cause I'm all alone," doesn't make too much sense, either, in accordance with the rest of the song. (at least to me)

#48120  by CountryMile Cadillac

Since we are talking lyrics and Loser, anybody know why Jerry stopped singing Sweet Suzy? When they played Loser, it seems the Sweet Suzy melody is still there, sans the lyrics. I always was waiting to hear that line come out....

#48124  by tigerstrat

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:Since we are talking lyrics and Loser, anybody know why Jerry stopped singing Sweet Suzy? When they played Loser, it seems the Sweet Suzy melody is still there, sans the lyrics. I always was waiting to hear that line come out....
I have it as "holdin' low."

Sweet Suzy was only within the first few months it was played. As to why it was dropped... who knows, but if you try singing it several times that way I'll bet you'll wanna drop it too.

#48127  by CountryMile Cadillac

I'm geekin' out on Loser now, thanks. I've listened to a few versions and all I can hear is Moaning Low..

Any way this has been posted before, but it deserves to posted again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJFwLthN1KU[/youtube]

#48133  by sack the wack

"A sustained mournful cry usually indicative of sorrow and pain" or as in "I hear that whistle moaning low".

#48138  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
Sweet Suzy was only within the first few months it was played. As to why it was dropped... who knows, but if you try singing it several times that way I'll bet you'll wanna drop it too.
Shannon was dropped too from Jack Straw... Hmmm
lbpesq liked this

#48152  by krzykat

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
Shannon was dropped too from Jack Straw... Hmmm
only from the second verse though.

#48171  by tigerstrat

What about "put your gold money where your _____ is baby" ??

Not sure what it actually is, but I prefer "luck". One of those great open to aural interpetation songs.

#48172  by CountryMile Cadillac

tigerstrat wrote:What about "put your gold money where your _____ is baby" ??
I always sing "love" in that spot. Heard others say luck too though. Costello sounds like he says "mouth" in his version during the second chorus, I think that is funny.

This has always been one of my favorite Garcia tunes, especially at an outdoor venue.