#168072  by old man down

To tell the truth, I had to type in pinch harmonics in my browser to see what it meant, and there was a vid to click, some British guy with a red strat demoing the technique.

It then dawned on me that I hold the pick on such a short leash that I get pinch harmonics a little, just by the way I play naturally. If I relax while playing, the pick will start to become "unleashed" and if it moves out away from my grip, then the playing gets sloppy, the pick starts to rotate around, and then its just a matter of time until it sails off into thin air.

I think Jerry just naturally held the pick on a short leash — for control — and the pinches came naturally for him, and before he knew it, it was second nature for him, intuitive, and he liked the sound too.

On my current go around on Loser, and this time really delving in because I am retired and YouTube makes learning so enjoyable, what with being able to cue up the song, just hit the left arrow key and you can hear the snippet again and again, and then spacebar to stop it, try it yourself, repeat… you can really flesh out the runs.

But also what I like is experimenting with these edgy runs of his at 75%/50% speeds, and you can really hear the notes.
 #174245  by Jack a roe

Mostly hear live recordings… moaning low. I believe on the recorded version it is “on a loan” In a card game you have to keep your poker face, weather you have a good or bad hand. If you had a bad hand you might want to let out a moan, but you better do it under your breath so you don’t give your hand away. That’s what moaning low means to me.
 #174310  by caspersvapors

TI4-1009 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:41 am Not to mention that the entire solo is done with pinch harmonics. :shock:

The guy was GOOD.
with the exception of Dicks Picks 10, which is one of the most searing solos Jerry ever played , and certainly on this song, I feel like most of Jerrys execution of pinch harmonics falls pretty flat. It just lacks power, with the exception of DP10 in which he captured lightning in a bottle but I also think he was just really f*cking loud that show.

on the Rockin the Rhein show he plays a standard solo and it just elevates the song a lot better than most of the times he went for the pinch harmonics during the 70s. Cool thing about the DP10 solo is its about half pinch harmonics, and then he switches to regular picking.

Anyways thats just my take