#156191  by WeepingWillowGuitar

Hi all,

I just posted a lesson for Jerry's solo on "Lonesome and a Long Way from Home" from the May 21, 1976 show at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco (released as the album "Don't Let Go"). The transcription is of the first Jerry solo, and IMO a very tasty solo. I love how melodic it is, classic Jerry stuff.

https://youtu.be/gZpOqllrIzo

Hope you enjoy!
swowsk liked this
 #156194  by lovetoboogie

Hey man...

Just wanted to take the time to say thanks for these new video lessons. They are super informative and you have a great grasp and feel. This particular tune is my fav from those Keith and Donna era Garcia Band gigs... I think the extended solo that takes place in the vamp would be great to break down. Love what you had to say about being efficient and economical in movement...

Thanks again and keep em' coming!
 #156208  by WeepingWillowGuitar

Lovetoboogie,

Thank you for the kind words, and also for some inspiration. I've been planning on starting a lick series, which I've titled "Bona fide licks", but was struggling on where exactly to begin. After reading your comments and suggestion on breaking down the extended jam over the vamp of "Lonesome and a Long Way from Home", I thought it would be cool to cherry pick some licks from different vamps (starting with this one), which over time could end up being a breakdown of sorts of these jams/vamps.

The first lick I chose came from the 6:25 mark on "Lonesome and a Long Way from Home". I think this is a super cool lick and can be used in a variety of situations. It would sound great over a static C7, C9, or C13 vamp. Check out the video here: https://youtu.be/eJOBS5p1mxI

Again, thanks for your comments!
 #156210  by brbadg

If I had a real issue with what you are doing,it's that some of the fingerings are not quite
what Jerry does.It doesn't bother me to any great extent.If I wanted to I'd simply change them.
However,the notes are there.Thank you for sharing your hard work!