#175352  by PaulJay

Happy New Year to everybody, I have had many different amps in the past, including Fender tube amps, Mesa Boogie, H&K bluesmaster> Rocktron power amp, Quilter Aviator, and probably some I don’t remember.
I am down to switching between 2 rigs. My favorite, SMS / Carvin/ Jbl
and my lightest one, Quilter 101 reverb> eminence Deltalite neo in Mesa cab.. My concern is sometimes I wish I could grab a light wait combo and not have to carry multiple units. Why doesn’t someone make a small combo
capable of the tone we are looking for? Or is there something out there I don’t know about. Or should I build one cab that holds my sms ,Carvin,and neo speaker. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Just getting a little
tired of searching for the sound. Thanks Paul
 #175353  by GratefulMets

Something like this would get you close. Sorry, I can't vouch for build quality. And you'd need to add rack mounting rails, and a handle. I just did a quick search for 1x12 w/ 3U Rack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293049552056?h ... xyepRRuSbS

Peace!
 #175354  by PaulJay

I appreciate your reply about the cab, but more importantly, I am a long time viewer of lost sailor videos on you tube and always go back to them to watch.Just great playing. Wondered what happen to you guys. And glad to know you are still playing. Will be catching up on your new band.
Thanks Paul
 #175356  by natebernstein

Milkman Pedal Steel Mini might be an option. Currently my gigging amp (though not playing Dead/Jerry stuff mostly) and I'm running it through an OX to be able to turn it up to the sweet spot and keep speaker volume manageable. He also makes a lower-wattage amp I think called the Dairy Air which could be worth looking into.
 #175357  by strumminsix

The WHY is cuz we are a few hundred DeadHeads when they make amps for the hundreds of thousands :)

But for a great grab and go, Fender has a Tone Master line which is tube pre, SS power, light, and great Fendery sounds.
 #175358  by lbpesq

Have you considered a BlockDock cab for your Quilter 101 Mini Reverb? I have a 101 and the 10” BlockDock. It makes a great lightweight grab ‘n go rig for jams.

Bill, tgo
 #175359  by PaulJay

All sound like good options. What speaker comes with the Block dock? Are you able to do a small gig? Thanks for the replies.
 #175360  by lbpesq

The BlockDock 10tc cab comes with a Celestion TF1018. It weighs 16 lbs. With a 101 Reverb, you have a combo that weighs in at about 18 lbs. You can get the BlockDock 12 in two versions, both with Neo speakers and weighing about 20 lbs. I've jammed many times with the 10" BlockDock with a full band. I usually take the Bobby chair with my Dead band, but also do some leads with my non-Dead band. I've never had any issues with the 101 Reverb/BlockDock 10tc keeping up. Of course, we're a bunch of older guys and don't play heavy metal at ear-spitting volumes.

Bill, tgo
PaulJay liked this
 #175365  by NeilG1

So this is a bit of project, but I recently bought this combo and sold my rack Jerry rig. Caveat - I don't gig. I jam with friends in a rehearsal facility and play at home.
the combo started life as a SF PR. The mods: bigger output transformers, power section changed to 2 6L6 tubes. Baffle changed to 12", currently housing a JBL D120F. Spring reverb left intact.
The vibrato circuit was removed. One of those knobs is now a mid control.

This combo slays. I'd guess it pushes about 25W. Really like a 1 channel Twin in effect. Plenty loud to hang with a drummer. Incredible Fender/Jerry tone. Heavier than a PR with the bigger iron and a JBL, but still very much "grab and go". I didn't do the mods myself, but I don't think any of this is a huge deal.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I love this combo.
wleeds liked this
 #175368  by PaulJay

Neil, this is what I am talking about. Sounds like the perfect amp. Why doesn’t fender do this. The closest they have is the 68 custom pro reverb
With 12 inch neo. Which is a little pricey.
NeilG1 liked this
 #175373  by NeilG1

Yes - it's just like the old Mesa mods. It's really killer. The other mod it has - which I don't use much - is on the 2nd knob from the original vibrato circuit. This is now labeled "GAS". It essentially rolls off the negative feedback control. It's supposed to make it more tweed sounding. I find it a bit more subtle than that, but it definitely adds gain. I generally have it completely off. Pic attached with my Courtenay Pollack dye.