#175239  by 19deadhead65

Hey now!

I’m in the market for a Mu-Tron if anybody has one they’re looking to get rid of! I’ve been sniped out on a couple auctions and am not really wanting to pay a fortune. Hoping to find a head who’s not looking to make a ton of money!

Thanks!
❤️⚡️💙☝️☝️☝️
 #175241  by Darkstar860

Seriously try the Micro-Tron IV before ya spend the big bucks on a Mu-Tron III. Also make sure you dont buy the HAZ version if you do get a Mu-Tron III. But i found i like my micro tron better than my original Mu-Tron III.
19deadhead65 liked this
 #175242  by Slewfoot2000

Agree on the Micro-Tron. Really nails the sound in a compact affordable pedal.

I can't find the post, but I recall reading an older one from Brad Sarno where he said he's played around with many vintage Mutron III's over the years. They were all variable and only a few seemed really great.

I can attest that I recently bought a 1970's MXR 100 Phaser and it just sounds off and doens't really get that classic Candyman solo type vibe. Handmade products back then were all a case by case basis!
19deadhead65 liked this
 #175243  by 19deadhead65

Darkstar860

Thanks for the heads up! I have seriously looked into the Micro Tron on many occasions, but I have found enough poor reviews to keep me away from them. It doesn't sound like Biegel is as involved with the rebirth as he was and that quality has been falling, along with customer support. I have a Q Tron+, one would figure if it was good enough for Mayer it should be good enough for me, but I just feel it falls somewhat short of what I'd imagine an original Mu-Tron can do.
Last edited by 19deadhead65 on Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cumtax liked this
 #175244  by 19deadhead65

Slewfoot 2000,

I'd have to agree with you there, on handmade pedals of days past being a case by case basis. I have a block logo Phase 100 that is beat to hell, but I've found it nails "the sound". I've debated going the Micro Tron route, but from what I've heard, the quality just isn't there anymore. I also figure if the sound I am going for is out there, I might as well pay up once (albeit not $1000 lol). I have the Q Tron+ which I have liked, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch. I definitely take Brad's opinion into account, I have yet to try any of his gear but have ONLY heard great things. The Earth Drive is on "the list" as well.
 #175245  by Slewfoot2000

To my ears the Micro-Tron really nails the sound unlike any other modern envelope filter I've encountered. As it should all things considered!

The only small nit is that it darkens the tone a bit. Other than that it's all I want from it.

You could always get a Micro-Tron as a place holder and if you happen to encounter a Mutron III for a good price you can test out then all the better!

And Brad definitely makes great stuff.
 #175247  by TI4-1009

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:20 am
I can't find the post, but I recall reading an older one from Brad Sarno where he said he's played around with many vintage Mutron III's over the years. They were all variable and only a few seemed really great.
I read that when Jerry and Big Steve would go pedal shopping they would go through quite a few until they found "the one".
 #175248  by lbpesq

I have an old Mutron III with the 3-prong plug and the power supply I might consider selling. I don’t remember when I got it, but it was at least 30+ years ago. Maybe about 15-20 years ago, I sent it back to Mike Beigel for a tune-up and, IIRC, a true bypass mod. I’ll pull it out, power it up, and make sure everything works as it should. I know what people ask for these, but I’m not sure what these actually go for. Let me think about it and do some research. If I decide to let it go, I’d certainly offer an Rukind discount.

Bill, tgo
 #175249  by 19deadhead65

lbpesq wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:05 pm I have an old Mutron III with the 3-prong plug and the power supply I might consider selling. I don’t remember when I got it, but it was at least 30+ years ago. Maybe about 15-20 years ago, I sent it back to Mike Beigel for a tune-up and, IIRC, a true bypass mod. I’ll pull it out, power it up, and make sure everything works as it should. I know what people ask for these, but I’m not sure what these actually go for. Let me think about it and do some research. If I decide to let it go, I’d certainly offer an Rukind discount.

Bill, tgo
Sounds good to me! Thanks for the consideration! If you’d rather private message me regarding it too, you certainly can! Thanks again
 #175250  by Darkstar860

Folks who dont like the sound of the Micro-Tron IV either have the wrong chip board for their application or have not spend ANY time with it. I own a Q-Tron +, Original Mu-Tron III, Tru-Tron IIIx and the micro-tron. After finding the right settings with the knobs, this is my fav of all of them.

They make 3 diffent chip boards that go into the Micro-Tron IV, make sure you find the board that matches your tone.
 #175251  by 19deadhead65

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:18 am Folks who dont like the sound of the Micro-Tron IV either have the wrong chip board for their application or have not spend ANY time with it. I own a Q-Tron +, Original Mu-Tron III, Tru-Tron IIIx and the micro-tron. After finding the right settings with the knobs, this is my fav of all of them.

They make 3 diffent chip boards that go into the Micro-Tron IV, make sure you find the board that matches your tone.
The stock “golden” chip in the Micro-Tron IV is supposedly the one closest to the original Mu-Tron III chip, correct?

What would you say are your key takeaways between Mu-Tron III vs IV?

Thanks!
 #175252  by Chocol8

I couldn't be happier with the Micro-tron IV. It nails the sound of a GOOD original, and is better than most of them.
 #175253  by Darkstar860

19deadhead65 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 am
Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:18 am Folks who dont like the sound of the Micro-Tron IV either have the wrong chip board for their application or have not spend ANY time with it. I own a Q-Tron +, Original Mu-Tron III, Tru-Tron IIIx and the micro-tron. After finding the right settings with the knobs, this is my fav of all of them.

The stock “golden” chip in the Micro-Tron IV is supposedly the one closest to the original Mu-Tron III chip, correct?

What would you say are your key takeaways between Mu-Tron III vs IV?

Thanks!
The Micro-Tron IV takes up less space, requires only 9v and is imho more reliable than the original. My original unit has had work done to it at least 6 times in 12 years or so. Each time i wait at least a month and spend a pretty penny to have it repaired. The Micro-Tron IV doesnt have these issues, its MUCH more reliable than the original. Someone else mentioned that Jerry and Steve use to try out a lot of the originals to find one that fit. THe Micro-Tron IV is not like that. As long as you have the gold board in it... its the best out there imho. But hey different strokes for different folks.
 #175254  by Gr8fulCadi

If trying to buy a Micro-Tron IV used, and the gold chip is indeed the one to have, is it easy to pop the cover and see that it’s a gold chip?
 #175255  by Darkstar860

Yes you can open it up and see the chip. Theres 3 different ones. The GOLD one is the one ya want if your after Jerry tone. But yes its easy to see whats in the unit with the back off. Nothing is hidden etc.