#175048  by Slewfoot2000

If I had the ability to own one? The original 73 / 73 Wolf. That era with that guitar was so distinctive and beautiful…the sound was so natural I often envision the strings themselves were made of hay.

I feel very fortunate to have actually picked up Wolf back in 2017 before it was auctioned. Even though I hadn’t start playing guitar yet at that point, I could immediately tell how it much more it was than simply a guitar. The whole feel of it made for such a unique piece of art.

Here is what Kimock had to say about Wolf after playing it: “ The first time I played Wolf I couldn’t even pick up any of my own instruments for a week. They all felt like toys. The diff between the absolutely top-shelf sh*t like an Irwin and the garden variety boutique and vintage stuff 99% of us are used to is inexpressible until you actually experience it. I couldn’t believe how much better an instrument Wolf was compared to anything in my woodpile and I’ve got some really fine guitars.”
Last edited by Slewfoot2000 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #175049  by TI4-1009

ssmug liked this
 #175050  by Jon S.

Aesthetically: Tiger.

Tonally: TB
 #175051  by franklins_timmy

Wolf
Alligator
Travis Bean TB500

Might catch some heat for this... but was never a fan of Tiger, Rosebud, etc. Just don't like the shape/looks of those guitars.
lbpesq liked this
 #175052  by lbpesq

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:21 pm Wolf
Alligator
Travis Bean TB500

Might catch some heat for this... but was never a fan of Tiger, Rosebud, etc. Just don't like the shape/looks of those guitars.
I also was never a fan of the shape of the batwing Irwin and Cripe guitars. I have it on a good source that the shape of the bouts was inspired by the shape of your thumb when pushing down on a lighter while smoking heroin. Aesthetically, my favorite of Jerry‘s guitars were the Peanut, Wolf (an Alembic. Irwin was working at Alembic when the company built the guitar. Early pics of Wolf clearly show an Alembic logo on the headstock), and Alligator. Soundwise, they all sounded great in Jerry’s hands.

Bill, tgo
 #175053  by Slewfoot2000

One thing that doesn’t get talked about that much is that the list of guitars used by Jerry really showcases the history of electric guitars in general. He used pretty much everything throughout the years.

In addition to these there are photos / videos of Jerry using a Danelectro, Telecaster, Jazzmaster, Gibson Junior and Gibson ES-335.

The one guitar that seems elusive is the classic Les Paul Standard Burst from the 1959 era. The one used by Jimmy Page and countless others and is now consistently the most valuable guitar in the world. Wonder why he never used one? Could he not find one? Did he prefer the weight and fretboard access of the SG when he moved to humbuckers? It’s curious!
 #175054  by tdcrjeff

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am One thing that doesn’t get talked about that much is that the list of guitars used by Jerry really showcases the history of electric guitars in general. He used pretty much everything throughout the years.

In addition to these there are photos / videos of Jerry using a Danelectro, Telecaster, Jazzmaster, Gibson Junior and Gibson ES-335.
Most of those are just borrows though.
The one guitar that seems elusive is the classic Les Paul Standard Burst from the 1959 era. The one used by Jimmy Page and countless others and is now consistently the most valuable guitar in the world. Wonder why he never used one? Could he not find one? Did he prefer the weight and fretboard access of the SG when he moved to humbuckers? It’s curious!
He did use a sunburst Deluxe for a few show in 1971.

#175056  by Slewfoot2000

tdcrjeff wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:13 am
Slewfoot2000 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am One thing that doesn’t get talked about that much is that the list of guitars used by Jerry really showcases the history of electric guitars in general. He used pretty much everything throughout the years.

Most of those are just borrows though.
He did use a sunburst Deluxe for a few show in 1971.
Yep. Correct on those I listed being ones borrowed. Even the guitars he did own as in OP's original photo is quite a sight to behold!

And correct on the 71 Deluxe. It's fun that he experimented with that for a few shows. But that is a different animal compared to the original Bursts. The Deluxe would have been made right when Gibson's decline began and it had the mini-humbuckers as opposed to the raw power of the PAF humbuckers. The pots and caps would likely have been different as well...but in Jerry's hands, he would have made them both sing almost equally as good!
 #175057  by lightningbolt

The Danelectro was Garcia's first guitar and not a borrow. If I remember the story correctly, his mother got him an accordion for his birthday, Jerry vehemently protested and his mom exchanged it for the Danelectro.

If she hadn't exchanged it, history may have been very different. There may have been no GD at all or we may be dissecting Garcia's unique accordion style on RUKIND.
 #175058  by Slewfoot2000

Yep! And in the first photo shown at the link below you can see Jerry playing it into a Fender Tweed Champ. (He would still use that and a Harvard Tweed through the early 70’s at least. It was his backstage amp as we’ve seen in some photos.)

BTW, gotta love how a lovely girl has her arm on Jerry and he seems to be full on in the zone with the guitar paying no attention. He was committed early on!

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2019/08/ ... t.html?m=1
 #175059  by Jon S.

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:21 pm Might catch some heat for this... but was never a fan of Tiger, Rosebud, etc. Just don't like the shape/looks of those guitars.
Don't misconstrue a cold shoulder for heat! :lol:

Seriously, I love the shape of Tiger and Rosebud. To me, they're the perfect combination of beauty and edge.

Here's my "Tiger." Not a clone at all. Built in all regards by luthier Phil Jacoby of Baltimore (Philtone) to my personal individual specs. Ron Thorn did the Tiger inlay, Jack of Hearts the neck, and Chris Lavin the headstock. The neck is exactly as I prefer it. We literally passed the unfinished guitar back and forth between us as Phil removed ever so slightly more wood until I proclaimed it perfect. The pickups are all connected to 3-way minitoggles allowing for each coil individually and both in series (humbucker mode). The guitar is versatile as can be and plays and sounds like a gem in all positions. In the first pick are the planks of wood Phil began the build with.

#175061  by Slewfoot2000

Lovely Tiger inspired guitar, Jon S.!

I especially like the practicality of the single volume / single tone knobs, the 22 frets and the aesthetic of the slightly rounded edges along the horns...would also very likely do the same.
Jon S. liked this
 #175062  by Mando_Nate

I've always loved Tiger, but lately I've really been liking the look of Wolf.
 #175065  by Jon S.

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:03 am Lovely Tiger inspired guitar, Jon S.!

I especially like the practicality of the single volume / single tone knobs, the 22 frets and the aesthetic of the slightly rounded edges along the horns...would also very likely do the same.
Thank you!

Re: the 22 frets, with the middle PUP oriented so that the SOUTH coil is where the north coil is on the real Tiger, the guitar has access to legit Jerry tone notwithstanding the 22 frets.