#174931  by PaulReed69

In the process of putting together a Jerry rig. I have the SMS on order and need to pick out an amp.

Based on research on this page my options are Carvin DCM200L, Macintosh MC50, Rocktron Velocity power, ART SLA-1, MosValve mv-962.

The McIntosh is out mostly because of weight. I've found some used MosValve recently. Can't find any of the Carvin's (which was my first choice)...

What's everyone experiences with the ART SLA-2? I really want think rig to be rock solid reliable and I have the option of get the ART SLA-2 new. Any other new amps that I'm missing? Or should I just be patient and wait for a Carvin to come up for sale....
 #174932  by Darkstar860

I am using the ART SLA-1 and love it. One of the best power amps to mate with the SMS. I borrowed a Carvin unit and i didnt think it sounded any better than my ART. The Carvin of course was louder than my ART-1 but if your looking into the ART-2 your good to go. I installed a silent fan (that also moves more air) in mine and my setup is indeed silent. I have mine going thru a Furman power conditioner and I have zero noise. Im running my setup into JBL e120s and this is by far the best setup ive ever had. :-)

Hope this helps
PaulReed69, Chocol8 liked this
 #174933  by BoogieMK2

I ended up getting a used ART SLA 2 for my Rev preamp. I only have a 1x12 cab with a Tone Tubby 40/40 so dialed back the gain and haven’t driven the amp hard and can’t really with that power. However, it isn’t sterile in any fashion, sounds great in this setup.

I do hear a very low level hum and the fan is audible in a room. Out live, you can’t hear it. It is also very heavy. The SLA 1 is about half the weight and plenty powerful.
 #174934  by lbpesq

The Carvin is great for a lightweight rig, weighing only 4 lbs.! Another option is its predecessor, the DCM150. Also, poking around the net, I see that Monoprice has a 1U stereo 300w class D power amp for $136.

Bill, tgo

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= ... DVEALw_wcB
 #174935  by Jon S.

Holy crap that Monoprice is inexpensive. I think I'd try one if I needed a 1U Class D power amp. I used to own their 15W 1X12 combo that cost me $169. It sounded excellent for what it was, though not my sound (little headroom) so I sold it.
 #174936  by Darkstar860

BoogieMK2 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:29 am I ended up getting a used ART SLA 2 for my Rev preamp. I only have a 1x12 cab with a Tone Tubby 40/40 so dialed back the gain and haven’t driven the amp hard and can’t really with that power. However, it isn’t sterile in any fashion, sounds great in this setup.

I do hear a very low level hum and the fan is audible in a room. Out live, you can’t hear it. It is also very heavy. The SLA 1 is about half the weight and plenty powerful.
I spent $12 on a quiet fan for mine and its silent now and the unit never even gets warm anymore. Was def worth the $12. Id imagine these are not the only power amps with noisy fans ;-)
 #174937  by Darkstar860

Jon S. wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 pm Holy crap that Monoprice is inexpensive. I think I'd try one if I needed a 1U Class D power amp. I used to own their 15W 1X12 combo that cost me $169. It sounded excellent for what it was, though not my sound (little headroom) so I sold it.
I own this same amp and modded it and its got TONS of headroom now. If you still own the amp i can send you what i did to attain the headroom. Amps pretty ridiculous for the $100 i paid for it. Im running mine with 6p14p power tubes and 6n2p preamp tubes.
 #174938  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:23 pm
Jon S. wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:14 pm Holy crap that Monoprice is inexpensive. I think I'd try one if I needed a 1U Class D power amp. I used to own their 15W 1X12 combo that cost me $169. It sounded excellent for what it was, though not my sound (little headroom) so I sold it.
I own this same amp and modded it and its got TONS of headroom now. If you still own the amp i can send you what i did to attain the headroom. Amps pretty ridiculous for the $100 i paid for it. Im running mine with 6p14p power tubes and 6n2p preamp tubes.
Thanks for the offer but the Monoprice combo I owned is long gone.
 #174939  by Searing75

R u planning on powering that large cabinet loaded with three JBL’s wired in parallel? If so, your gonna’ need some juice, and an amp that can handle a 2.67ohm load.
 #174940  by PaulReed69

Yes. I will be running the 3x12 with it, any recommendation of amps that can take a 2.67ohm load? Thanks!
 #174941  by strumminsix

PaulReed69 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:13 am The McIntosh is out mostly because of weight.
PaulReed69 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:03 am Yes. I will be running the 3x12 with it, any recommendation of amps that can take a 2.67ohm load? Thanks!
LOL! But I understand, size, portability, fragility, but I did laugh! That 3x12 will be like moving a safe!
 #174945  by Darkstar860

I thought my 2x12 was a tad heavy ! 3x12 now thats just too much for my surgically fixed back and shoulder for sure. I have my 2x12 w/ JBL e120s on casters with handles on the sides. I just need help getting it out of the trailer and up onto the stage. But thank gosh for casters ! My 2x12 is angled (the top speaker) so its going right into my ear as i stand about... 5 ft away from the amp. Works perfect.
 #174948  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:23 pm
Hey bud, what'd you do to achieve that? Have looked at that as a nice backup unit. Those 6ps are nice EL84 variants. Sound great in my Dr Z Maz 8 single ended amp. Thanks so much!!
 #174949  by Darkstar860

Add a NFB pot or use a different value resistor and the amp cleans right up. The amp has the wrong value for headroom. You can just blob solder over the resistor and bypass it all together and not worry about putting a pot in it. Thats what i did. Just bypass that one resistor. Ill look for the schematic with the directions i know i saved it. But this amp has SERIOUS headroom now, stock it was terrible. But i also replaced the speaker and did some other mods. Stock speaker and reverb pan are junk.
strumminsix, Chocol8 liked this