#126296  by nsandi9

Does anyone know anything about the Avalon vacuum tube units besides that they are really expensive? Oh, and that Bob sometimes uses the 747 compressor. I am wondering how the preamp is, (737) or that badass looking AD2055 parametric mastering eq.
 #126303  by strumminsix

nsandi9 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Avalon vacuum tube units besides that they are really expensive? Oh, and that Bob sometimes uses the 747 compressor. I am wondering how the preamp is, (737) or that badass looking AD2055 parametric mastering eq.
IMO, he uses that for limiting not compressing --> to help ensure that his notes are clear, seated properly in the mix, and control wild peaks or dips in volume.
I thought he also used it as a first gain stage in his rig but now I know that functionality is accomplished through a Brad Sarno Black Box.

In my rig I found similar results using PreSonus Eureka. Was easy to set a limit with mild compression when crossed and kept thing sounding jazzy smooth!!!

During these phases he's more relied on POD or ElevenRack type rack preamp/modeler/processer/emulator type units.
 #126313  by nsandi9

I wasn't really referring to what Bob uses the Avalon for although I do know he's had it in his rig consistently for a while now. I was just wondering if anybody used the Preamp model. I am sure the eq that I mentioned in the post is totally killer. I am wondering if the 737 preamp would be worth a whirl.
I've been playing different "Eras" of GD for a while and of course love all the vintage equipment. (Would never get rid of anything ever again). I'm getting an itch to put together a "modern day rig" and was thinking about testing some different waters.
Here is my so far and maybe you guys can gimme some advice.

Avalon Preamp 737 OR Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp w/
Mesa Boogie 2-100 power amp OR 2-90 (try it) or 1 of my solid state power amps
Avalon Mastering Parametric eq
TC electronic G major 2 or (similar)
(simple set up with broad range of sound)

I play many different guitars. Thinking of buying a regular ole American Strat and
Gibson 339.

I was thinking of possibly finding a modulus neck and installing on strat.

Right now when I'm not playing with the band that plays eras, I find my self mixing and matching. I really like the Dean Markley rm with TC electronics G major 2 and my 335 or Tele these days. The IVP with G major 2 and 335 gets some kick ass tone. Sometimes I play a custom Ibanez with EMGs or another with a piezo. It's fun to expand my horizons. I do frequently play a Boogie Lonestar but it's too bright!