Chat about Equipment Info
 #56778  by Thomas Lieber

Was it called versa tone? Pretty small package as I recall, Phil Saam you once owned one. What happened to the company. I remember Jack got some really nice growling sounds out of it. It had some sort of over drive built into it.

best,
Thomas
 #57136  by philsaam

Hello to all ---hi ya there Mr T.----ya wanna hear about what I know of the Versatone bass amp-is that what ya want -----well I still have mine --please let me say this first -its a bit of a honor to have anybody ask me about Jack Casady , period! I love this guy --what he had and what he influences to this day--the little Versatone has a pair of tube amps -35 rms -ea hooked to a 12"spkr--in a sealed box --its a mono input /w 2jacks --volume control w/pullout brite -push-in normal switch--a bass control --a treble control ---and a pan-o-flex control to select a boost or cut to the treble or bass amp ----the 12" spkr is rear mounted off -set to the left of front of cab and here is the kicker-------there is a block of wood braceing the speaker to the rear of the cab --like Marshall cabs ---it definately hooks -up the bass response in a tiny infinite baffle box----My amp has seen better days the enclosure is made from particlle board ----well say no more ok ----if you dont move the amp when you first get one --it basically comes apart in time -say no more , I will-----if you replace the 12" with a JBL D-120 --wow does this amp kick ass ---super low end with ear splitting treble ping-bang ---an Alembic bass or a bass with Alembic filters -you will rule the universe of tone /eq --this is no brag but -if there were a versatone for sale ---I would buy it ----as an auxillary amp in an array of main bass drivers of your desire --Its time to enjoy yourself as a bass player that never sounded so good --HEY MR LESH is one hell of an audiophile --what Jack and Phil play through is always worth the price of admission alone --always good to hear ----hows that Mr Lieber--did I get it--? we go back a few years huh! Love ya Tom ----hi Waldo --ssee ya phil
 #57554  by philsaam

I just remembered something ------Jack stacked multiple single 15" JBL D-140 s --the Alembic model A-15 vertically and also ran a SVT box 8-10s a versatone out front he used a Mc 3500 -a tube amp with 350 watts rms -a Mc 2300 a 2 ch 300 watt rms ea ch ----his Guild starfires or a custom Glenn Quan flying V with Guild bass PUs ---Jack sometimes had substituted a pair of Alembic B-12s --2-12 spkrs per cab ---for the SVT ---but his main punch was from the 15s--Maybe Tom Lieber might get Jack to visit and set the record straight --so to speak ----Jack always sounds good ----peace ------phil
 #60605  by philsaam

Tom the best that I can remember of how Jack was set up -- there was 1 18"JBL in a sealed box and 4 single 15s stacked on top next to them was a SVT -8-10-- then the Mc Intosh 2300s --amp stack ,one on top of the other , like 3-or 4, a Ampeg SVT head and a rack sitting on top with power supply and 2/or 3 Alembic preamps; the Versatone was placed in front of the Mc Intosh amps directly behind where Jack stood --on the stage floor --amp was miked-------Jack had a Morley Vol Pedal to blend in the Gritty crunch of the little Versatone --the characteristic Jack Casady sound --we are talkin ----like almost 40 yrs ago----yeah --incredible-----how everything came together----what a time it was --
 #61729  by philsaam

Carole Kaye moved up to the Bay Area in around 77 /78 -met her by accident at Prune Music in Mill Valley seems just as she was settling in --back then you were either a huge big name act -or you were a sideman /worked with guys that could play together for small venues -parties -entertain so to speak --work the lounges ,bars, --Carole was green to the Bay Area scene at that time - needed to play and needed gear --well I gave her a 15 and my Versatone and boom happy ---Hell she really wanted to keep my stuff - buy it off me - no couldnt sell it but she was free to use it as much as she wanted or needed it --friends do tuff like that --I think she gave me a couple of $$ for like equiptment rental --I was renting to Cal Tjaders band a Alembic B-15 -2-15s-JBL D 140 s --and a Sunn 100 watt tube top -the conga player loved the sound -and every weekend fri-sat-sun -every where Cal Played here in the Bay Area my sweet B-15 with the tie dye grill would be sittin --the Versatone of mine was not your stock Versatone --aside from a stock Versatone tube amp chassis - was a 1-15 w TWIN TUNED PORTS-a solid Alembic crafted spkr box in Birch covered with a indoor outdoor deep blue carpet - ATA handles - a deep stained 1/4" birch front cover and set of super heavy duty roller bearing casters - two locking the 15 " speaker was a Gauss 5840 8 ohm 200W bass transducer - 37- 2500/3000 hz -still got it-
 #65446  by philsaam

hello again , I just found the schematic for the Vers-a-tone studio bass amp I bought back in the mid 70s ---anyone out there want to try to build one ? I have the original amp chassis complete -this little guy really packed a serious punch and it distorts like ---sings and sustains the choicest harmonics -----just listen to Jack play on the early Airplane and Hot Tuna records --Jack nails the tone --Jack kicks ass --please can someone take up the cause and bring back the VERSATONE PAN-O-FLEX BASS AMP ---I want one and so does Jack ---just ask him , I will donate my amp and wiring blueprint to help get this amp built ------thanks for this moment , to RUKIND , the Greatful Dead family , Alembic , Tom Lieber,Doug Irwin ,Jack Casady, Hot Tuna ,Pete Sears ,Jefferson Airplane ,Jefferson Starship, Hardtruckers & Glenn Goldstein, Phil Lesh ,Bill Moore, Jimmy Johnson, Mandoborg----Jim Cambra---Larry Robinson ,Frank Fuller, Bill Bartollini, Rob Turner EMG--Michael Dolan , -------David Margin-John Heard,Doug Lunn, -------and LES PAUL -----lov ya all-----GOD BLESS ----phil saam
 #65447  by philsaam

hello again , I just found the schematic for the Vers-a-tone studio bass amp I bought back in the mid 70s ---anyone out there want to try to build one ? I have the original amp chassis complete -this little guy really packed a serious punch and it distorts like ---sings and sustains the choicest harmonics -----just listen to Jack play on the early Airplane and Hot Tuna records --Jack nails the tone --Jack kicks ass --please can someone take up the cause and bring back the VERSATONE PAN-O-FLEX BASS AMP ---I want one and so does Jack ---just ask him , I will donate my amp and wiring blueprint to help get this amp built ------thanks for this moment , to RUKIND , the Greatful Dead family , Alembic , Tom Lieber,Doug Irwin ,Jack Casady, Hot Tuna ,Pete Sears ,Jefferson Airplane ,Jefferson Starship, Hardtruckers & Glenn Goldstein, Phil Lesh ,Bill Moore, Jimmy Johnson, Mandoborg----Jim Cambra---Larry Robinson ,Frank Fuller, Bill Bartollini, Rob Turner EMG--Michael Dolan , -------David Margin-John Heard,Doug Lunn, -------and LES PAUL -----lov ya all-----GOD BLESS ----phil saam
 #91344  by joe.sauce

Hey guys, sorry for the necro post, I've been searching all over the internet for some info on these amps. I've recently inherited a pan o flex 120 and am trying to find out some more about it. Any idea what it's worth or where I could find out? It's in immaculate shape and is all original, works perfect. Seriously maybe has 5 hours at the very most on it. It was purchase for my grandpa by my father in the early 70's through carol kaye, who my father was an understudy for. He played bass for the new buffalo springfield and many other big bands of that era. I just wanna find out more about the amp, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
 #100368  by filter

Reviving an old post and old cause...
Thanks to Mr. Saam, I have a schematic for the Versatone, but it is worn and the upper corners are incomplete/ unreadable. if anyone has a Versatone and wants to take a stab at filling in the gaps, let me know. I will email you a scanned copy of the schematic.
Also, once I have the head sorted, I will need some pictures and measurements of the speaker enclosure.
Any help will be appriciated and result in good vibes all around.
 #101039  by seanc

Interested. I have never heard of this beast !!
Can you post a pic? I will keep a look out for one in my travels.

I opened for JA @ 1990. unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet anybody from the band. I was bummed. But he used a modulus and an set baby blue. Stood right in front of him all night. Life changing.
 #150620  by GuildBass

Thread Dug up from the dead...

Seeing as Jack Casady has been doing electric Hot Tuna shows including the Lockn Jefferson Airplane 50th celebration and Jorma's 75th Birthday, with his trusty fabled Versatone amp, I thought I'd start digging on this again.

http://youtu.be/5m4vzWmDuKg

Jacks amp, a Versatone model 133 Pan-o-flex is known to have 1 singular 12" speaker. The fate of the 8" that normally would deliver the highs is less known. Was it ever there?

More curious is the concept of this amp with it early "hi-fi" bi-amp like design running highs and lows through separate power sections (2 7591a's and an output transformer for each).

How is it possible to do this? Blending 2 line level signals, sure. But, this is powered speaker level signals.
The 2 power amp sections should be destroying each other.

Instead.... Sonic bliss.

Any input?