Chat about Equipment Info
 #80046  by jmfranc

I am trying to build my own box to make the obel work. Mono line in, stereo out which sends the signal and returns it, and then a mono out to amp head. Is there a diagram anywhere so I don't screw this up? Thanks!
 #80056  by tigerstrat

jmfranc wrote:I am trying to build my own box to make the obel work. Mono line in, stereo out which sends the signal and returns it, and then a mono out to amp head. Is there a diagram anywhere so I don't screw this up? Thanks!
That seems backwards- should be: stereo(TRS) Send/Return from OBEL, mono Out to fx, and mono In from fx.

If you are just building a loop bypass pedal, by definition that wouldn't be "On Board", and you would probably want to use 4 mono jacks.
 #80058  by jmfranc

I thought it was guitar to effects chain, final effect out to mono input on splitter/joiner box which then sends the signal back to the guitar and runs it through the volume then back to the box and out the mono to the head/amp.

I am not sure what you mean by return from the OBEL/
 #80059  by JonnyBoy

You got it a little mixed up. I wouldn't start anything until you got the gist. I will try and explain it as simply as possible by stages:
1.guitar makes signal from selected pickup sent in and out the switch(pickup selector) to a wire connected to it it has yet to go through the knobs volume and tone.
2.that wire goes to a DPDT switch that tuns obel on and off. when OBEL IS ON->
3.the signal goes through a wire to the TIP part of the stereo Jack where a stereo cord is inserted.
4- goes down the stereo cord to the junction Box.
5.The junction box sends the signal from the stereo cord to a plugged in mono cord's tip
6.that mono cord gets hooked into your first effect
7.signal gets processed through effects to last effect
8.signal goes through last effect to the tip of another mono cord.
9.that cord is connected also to the junction box where it is transferred back to the stereo CORD that sent the signal->
10.the signal is sent back to the stereo cord but to the RING not the TIP.
11.Signal then travels back through the cord to the guitar's stereo jack where a different wire wire is connected to the RING on the jack in the guitar.
12. it travels down a wire in the guitar to the OBEL switch. The OBEL switch puts the signal back into the guitars Electronics to then go to the volume and tone knobs. the final processed signal is then sent out the mono Jack on the guitar that your guitar was born with. That signal goes to the amp to be amplified!!

I hope this helps, Jboy
Last edited by JonnyBoy on Sat May 15, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #80061  by JonnyBoy

myoung6923 wrote:Here's one that I made and use - it works perfect.

That's much like mine but without the mono pass thru. Did you have it in a shielded box?
 #80066  by jmfranc

This is the same as what I was talking about but I had the the mono cable going straight to the amp instead of through the box
 #80069  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Tone controls should be wired to the pickup selector switch BEFORE the buffer and well before the OBEL circuit. Definitely not after the OBEL.

Brad
 #80075  by Jon S.

JonnyBoy wrote:There is a guy on here that sells a Hub bub and it is great.
+1

I own two Hub-Bubs (always need a spare). Why reinvent the wheel? And Godfrey Daniels (its builder) is a fine gent well worth supporting with an order or two.
 #80077  by myoung6923

I don't have a hub bub (yet) but I love that he has a bypass switch wired in so that you can easily use a non-OBEL guitar without having to unplug cables. A very cool feature.
 #122390  by gr8fl4295

Can you guys draw a diagram with the bypass mini-switch included? (I'm an electronics idiot)
Thanks in advance.

derek