#64067  by Grateful.Ed

Thanks. I noticed the Deadstein version is in C and there is a version posted in the tab section in G.

Did the dead play this in one key and jerry band in another?
 #64068  by tigerstrat

Grateful.Ed wrote:Thanks. I noticed the Deadstein version is in C and there is a version posted in the tab section in G.

I've never heard the Dead's version. Didn't the GD only play it once? JGB is C. We opened our Jerry Celebration with it last night. Fantastic crowd!
 #64071  by Emoto

Grateful.Ed wrote:Thanks. I noticed the Deadstein version is in C and there is a version posted in the tab section in G.

I learned the song years ago in G. I got that out of a James Taylor songbook. When I tried to play it with some friends a few months ago, I was horrified that they all knew it in C. I find it easier in G, but that's probably because that's how I learned it...
 #64074  by ronster

Something like this in the key of C, just play out of the chord shapes

E|-------------------------------------8---------8---------------------------5-------------------7----------
B|-------------8-----8--10b10b10b8h10-----10--8-----11r10r8---------------5-----5-------------8-----8-----
G|--------8h9-----9------------------------------------------9---------5-----------5-------7-----------7----
D|--5/10--------------------------------------------------------5h6h7-----------------7/9-----------------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|----C------------------------------------------------------------Am-------------------G-------------------

E|-------------5-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|----------6-----6------------------------------------1---------------------------------------
G|-------5-----------5--5------------5--------4--2--2-----2--5------------5--------4--4--4--4--
D|--9\7-----------------5-------5h7-----7--5--5--3-----------5-------5h7-----7--5--5--5--5--5--
A|-------------------------6h7----------------------------------6h7----------------------------
E|----F-----------------C------------------G-----F-----------C-----------------G-------------
 #64076  by tigerstrat

It's 12th pos. to begin. Boom, you're there, yw.

There are FOUR threads asking about the intro for this song!
 #64081  by Grateful.Ed

tigerstrat wrote:It's 12th pos. to begin. Boom, you're there, yw.

There are FOUR threads asking about the intro for this song!
I noticed...two have no response and the other two have comments regarding where/when it was played.

This post has a few things I can actually use. Many Thanks, Ed.
 #64103  by ronster

I showed the lead/intro in the 8th fret position. I tend to start there, next go around go up to the 12th fret position (same note just bring in some higher notes and different chord shapes to play off) then I 'll go down one octave and play it out of the 5th fret position. I find changing the starting point or chord shapes helps alot in making your leads sound more intersting as one (me) tends to develop certain runs/riffs associated with certain chord shapes as well as bringing in the higher or lower notes. This is just a great tune to learn the caged method of playing leads as it has a very bouncy catchy melody that fits in well with the chord changes. I have not listened to a JGB version of this in awhile so what I tabbed was just off of the side of my head, not any particular show.
 #64913  by Grateful.Ed

Justa quick thanks for the help with this song

Played the C version electric and G version acoustic a few times each at jams over the last couple weeks.

The audiences and musicians were into it....some musicians asked where I came up w/ the C version and were surprised the Jerry Band did it.

Told them "every once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Need to copy some JG cd's for them now.
 #157794  by Kent Francois

Grateful.Ed wrote:Thanks. I noticed the Deadstein version is in C and there is a version posted in the tab section in G worldwide brands remark - http://www.ilfairmap.com.

I have never heard of the Dead's version. Did not the GD only play it once? JGB is C. We all opened the Jerry Celebration by it yesterday. Wonderful!