#175103  by Slewfoot2000

Hi Gang,

Hope all is well. The beginning of Sugar Magnolia on 2-24-74 Winterland (one of my all time favorite shows) has a beautiful little tone nugget from Jerry starting at 18 seconds on the link below.

What do people more knowledgeable than me think creates that tone? Sounds like he's plucking the strings pretty close to the bridge, perhaps between the bridge pickup and bridge itself. I feel like the bridge pickup with the tone knob turned down a bit to mid gets somewhat close.

Curious what others think...and is he doing a particular scale here or just messing around with the needed notes low on the fretboard?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFxJXb0SwA
 #175104  by lbpesq

I don’t know how he got that tone, but I was at all three shows that weekend. They had most of the WOS there (The Sound Test, official WOS unveiling, was a month later at The Cow Palace). Probably my all time favorite Winterland stand. The Baby Blue they encored with on Sunday, 2/24/74, was incredibly moving.

Bill, tgo
 #175106  by Searing75

Picking close to the bridge, and playing notes in the A major scale. Sounds like he is on the bridge pup. And, he probably has the tone down a bit as you stated. Not too much though.
 #175107  by Slewfoot2000

Searing75 wrote:Picking close to the bridge, and playing notes in the A major scale. Sounds like he is on the bridge pup. And, he probably has the tone down a bit as you stated. Not too much though.
Cool and sounds like we're getting there and thanks!
lbpesq wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:51 am I don’t know how he got that tone, but I was at all three shows that weekend. They had most of the WOS there (The Sound Test, official WOS unveiling, was a month later at The Cow Palace). Probably my all time favorite Winterland stand. The Baby Blue they encored with on Sunday, 2/24/74, was incredibly moving.

Bill, tgo
Awesome and so glad you were there! The Baby Blue encore is one of the most unique things the band has done. Nothing else sounds quite like it.

Out of curiosity, did the band have the large center vocal cluster at those Winterland shows or did that not arrive until The Cow Palace show the next month?
 #175108  by Chocol8

Searing75 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:26 am Picking close to the bridge, and playing notes in the A major scale. Sounds like he is on the bridge pup. And, he probably has the tone down a bit as you stated. Not too much though.
Agree 100%. With higher value tone caps, he probably didn't need to turn the tone down that much to get there.
 #175109  by tdcrjeff

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:27 amOut of curiosity, did the band have the large center vocal cluster at those Winterland shows or did that not arrive until The Cow Palace show the next month?
No vocal cluster.
These photos are from dead.net filed under 10/20/74 but are clearly not from the Oct run, rather the February run.