#174682  by TI4-1009

BDubbbzz wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:21 am
That looks so good! That volute adds so much, imo.
Agree- volutes are Da Bomb!

Here's the volute I carved into my Martin kit build:

And here's the ultimate Martin volute:
BDubbbzz liked this
 #174701  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:01 am Phil sure does love volutes! I’ve never seen any quite like his. That guitar will NEVER suffer a broken headstock!

Bill
Neither will a standard Fender. It's like the guys at Gibson had a back room deal for kickbacks with the headstock repair union and they designed the things to be as breakable as possible.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #174702  by lbpesq

I love what Alembic does. Their instruments have an angled headstock, like a Gibson, but, unlike Gibson, they build the headstock as a separate piece and employ a scarf joint to join it to the neck. Stronger than the one-piece Gibson method and, if it does break, it beaks along the scarf joint enabling an easy repair that winds up stronger than original.

Bill, tgo
 #174716  by tdcrjeff

BDubbbzz wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:21 am
ssmug wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:47 am These are the pics from Phil's site

https://imgur.com/a/c1JQUb9
That looks so good! That volute adds so much, imo. Wonder what the red buttons are for?
The red buttons (first appeared on Rosebud) are for stepping through MIDI patches.
 #174742  by lbpesq

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:36 pm Looks really great! Love how the shape is a slight bit different making it all the more unique. Enjoy!

Phil apparently employed a similar mod as Alembic on their Further guitar, having the upper and lower horns join the neck at different points. The original Wolf, (built by Alembic while Doug Irwin worked there), had the upper and lower horns join the neck at the same place. A subtle difference that many don’t notice.

Bill, tgo