#174726  by Seeker

New guy to the forum, been listening to the dead since the early days , was at the UR Palestra show. Decided to learn guitar at 68 , now at 71 just getting to playing some dead songs on electric, using a PRS Hollow body ll with piezo and a Quilter Micro Pro 2, sounds pretty nice but in the interest of what may or may not be more fun, wanting to either buy an old Greco, Vantage , or Ibanez Musician, and do some mods. Given where the prices are currently on the old stuff which seems to have doubled in the last 3-4 years am I better off just buying the Eastwood or even a Phred and calling it good?
Thanks
 #174727  by lbpesq

Personally, I would consider everything you mention except the Ibanez Musician. I’ve had a couple. They are VERY heavy with chunky necks, and their prices have increased quite a bit over the last few years, significantly more than they are worth as players, IMHO.

The Vantage and Greco Alembic-inspired neck thru guitars are quite nice, as are several of the other Alembic-inspired Japanese guitars of the late 70s- early 80s. Guitars like Daion, Fernandes, Fresher, or the Korean Corts and Targas, are all excellent quality “hippie sandwich” instruments.

The modern takes from Phred and Eastwood give you good bang for your buck, though you may want to mod the electronics. Nothing wrong with going in that direction. And, with the Phred and Eastwood instruments, you are paying for the guitar only, no increased cost for “collectibility”.

Just my 2¢,

Bill, tgo
 #174728  by TI4-1009

Brother!
 #174729  by Jon S.

"... using a PRS Hollow body ll with piezo ..."

That is an awesome, versatile guitar.
 #174731  by Jon S.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I see no OBEL or active buffer on that Post.
 #174735  by lightningbolt

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:56 am Yeah, I don’t disagree. My gut says the all around build quality would be better than something like an Eastwood regardless, but I could be wrong!
I have both an Eastwood Tiger and a Phiga Bolt. The Eastwood has much better build quality as well as better hardware and wiring.