#160213  by Budman

I have always used a regular guitar cable from guitar to effects to amp sometimes they are junk right from the package now iam putting together a decent rig and do cables really make a difference? If so where can I get some high quality cable? Thanks
 #160214  by Blacklodgebob

I use george l solderless (bulk roll - bulk plugs) - and really dig Alchemy Audio for all my amp > cabinet cables and longer guitar cables, like the ones that run off the pedal board. They are wrapped in techflex and super quality. Really seems to bullet proof reliable on both counts
 #160217  by zambiland

It's really worth learning how to solder. Then get a bunch of Mogami cable and Neutrik ends from Redco.com and have at it. I can count the number of cable failures I've had since the late 90s on the fingers of 1 hand and still have a couple left over. Actually, I can't remember a single one, but I'm just saying that in case there were a few.

It's pretty easy once you learn the correct technique and your cables will be cheaper and way better than what you can buy.

Or get Kidd Candelario to make them for you.
 #160219  by Rusty the Scoob

I'm with Zambiland, build your own and they last forever, I've had way better luck with my own cables than anything commercially produced. Neutrik makes great connectors, easy to use and bulletrpoof. I use Canare instead of Mogami, probably just because it comes in colors other than black and I liked it and kept using it - turns out Kidd builds them exactly the same way.

I have had commercially-produced cables that were so cheap they affected the sound in a negative way (on bass I found a lack of punch and clarity, almost like heavy compression) but for the most part I think if you're not scrounging the bargain bin at Guitar Center or using cables that have partially failed, it's all fine.
 #160224  by Blacklodgebob

totally disagree - ive been making my own for 15 years. When you go the neutrik / amphenol soldered route, when they fail it takes more time to fix it (in an FX patch cable situation). Ask Justin of GBB in portland, the George L's work flawlessly, his have been on the board for a decade or something of daily use. Alchemy cables that I recommended, are covered in tech flex wrapping, and for the use of longer runs, which makes it more difficult for them to be cut in two somehow. But Ill carry a spare, even though none have failed, because solder + techflex + plug isnt a 3 beers in dark stage thing I want to deal with.

When I was working at a guitar factory in Memphis 8 years ago, I pulled a box of brass George L's of the late 80's early 90's out of storage, blew the dust off, and they are still running on my studio rack - all these years later

If your doing a TRS / mono garcia super cable, best to do it with techflex also. See Zach in JGB for that reference. We were doing the fancy cables thing with AO a long time ago now - they all still work great.

Also even though they aren't fancy specs: I toured all over with Brian Brown's cables, made for Hard Truckers, they are just Mogamis, but none of them ever failed.
 #160225  by Budman

It seems most are commenting about cables being durable and lasting how about sound quality I was looking at cable and ran across a review that said the cable made a difference in the tone quality ? Thanks for the advice I like the roll your own idea solder or no solder I will try both? Probably
 #160227  by hippieguy1954

The suggestions made above are the highest quality available and do not change your tone. :wink:
Blacklodgebob liked this
 #160232  by zambiland

Budman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 am It seems most are commenting about cables being durable and lasting how about sound quality I was looking at cable and ran across a review that said the cable made a difference in the tone quality ? Thanks for the advice I like the roll your own idea solder or no solder I will try both? Probably
Mogami and Canare are some of the highest quality cable without getting into crazy expensive audiophool territory (like $15/ft and up). George L cable is also excellent cable.

Back in the day, I had a Bill Lawrence cable, which was the precursor to George L, and did a shoot out of cables in a recording session and it came out on top, especially beating Monster cable by a mile. That was before I was using Mogama/Canare. I was kind of surprised because I thought that if you had an active bass, most of the cable effects were non-existent. I might try doing it again.

The best sounding cable I have is made from Cardas cable. I got about 15' of it on closeout and it's pretty spectacular.
 #160233  by Rusty the Scoob

The one time I tried a George L I remember thinking it sounded better than the ProCo/Horizon/Whatever I was using at the time but never really bought one. Something about that skinny cable and solderless connection makes me nervous even though people have had great luck with them.

strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 am When you roll your own... don't forget to slide the sleeve/shoulder over the cable BEFORE you solder!!
You can forget before soldering the first end, just as long as you remember before doing the 2nd! :lol:
 #160268  by strumminsix

+1 to Zambiland suggesting Mogami and Canare. All I run. YEARS of successful performance partnering those with mogami ends and techflex.
Rusty the Scoob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm
strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 am When you roll your own... don't forget to slide the sleeve/shoulder over the cable BEFORE you solder!!
You can forget before soldering the first end, just as long as you remember before doing the 2nd! :lol:
HAHAHA! Too true!