#158958  by tnt1234

Couple of progress pics showing off the walnut/maple/walnut pickup ring. Pretty happy with it so far.

But two issues -
- The bridge seems to be about 1/16" off center. Don't think that will matter much - not much I can do about it - the boat rout won't allow me the adjust the pickup ring, and I already drilled the string through holes.
- I was going to run the fret board long with square edges to cover the less than perfectly tight neck/pocket. But the pickup ring is too tall for that - it's about 1/16" higher than the neck with no fret board. I might try to rout the overlap of the fret board, but might end up being too thin for that to work.

We'll see...

Last edited by tnt1234 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #158963  by ac4468

Looks great! I've encountered a similar issue on an early build. There are two other options I used to solve the neck being a bit low (or more accurately the plate being thick). You can add 1/16" veneer over the neck yet under the fingerboard which looks like a sub binding or add a 1/16" veneer shim in the neck pocket to raise up the neck like on tiger. (assuming the bridge has the range to accommodate the additional height). Really like the tri-lam plate despite it being thick.
 #158965  by ac4468

The only drawback to doing that is that you may have to thin the back of the neck 1/16" so be careful of the truss rod rout! Also, you may be able to get un-notched saddles for the bridge if your alignment is slightly off. This way you can notch them yourself to better center align them.
 #158967  by tnt1234

ac4468 wrote:The only drawback to doing that is that you may have to thin the back of the neck 1/16" so be careful of the truss rod rout! Also, you may be able to get un-notched saddles for the bridge if your alignment is slightly off. This way you can notch them yourself to better center align them.
Thanks.

The truss rod is a low profile two way, so the channel is only 3/8" deep. Should be fine on that front.

Looking at it again, I think the bridge is set properly - I think my boat rout, and then the wood ring are what are off - so only issue might be the strings going over the poles correctly....and I actually think it's going to work out OK....
 #159067  by tnt1234

Dang it....I screwed it up....didn't think and stained the pick up ring with a red mahogany-ish stain. the maple sucked it up, and it looks dark - like black dark. So the cool accent is lost...having a hard time sanding it out - it just sucked into that end grain so deeply.

Oh well - live and learn.
 #159081  by gmchart

If the maple sucked in the stain that deep it was soft maple. I doubt you're gonna be able to sand that out. It's clear from the pics that you have a template, make another and finish it with clear. Let the wood be the wood.
 #159163  by tnt1234

gmchart wrote:If the maple sucked in the stain that deep it was soft maple. I doubt you're gonna be able to sand that out. It's clear from the pics that you have a template, make another and finish it with clear. Let the wood be the wood.

Yep. Have to get ahold of some more veneer. But it really doesn't look good - no other choice.
 #159164  by ac4468

PM me if you need some. I probably have some maple and walnut thick veneer I can drop in the mail for you.
 #159166  by TI4-1009

tnt1234 wrote:Dang it....I screwed it up....didn't think and stained the pick up ring with a red mahogany-ish stain. the maple sucked it up, and it looks dark - like black dark. So the cool accent is lost...having a hard time sanding it out - it just sucked into that end grain so deeply.

Oh well - live and learn.
If you slightly dampen the exposed endgrain with water before you stain you can sometimes limit how much stain the wood will suck up. Tougher to do in a "sandwich" though.
 #159243  by tnt1234

ac4468 wrote:PM me if you need some. I probably have some maple and walnut thick veneer I can drop in the mail for you.

Thanks man, but I just ordered a bunch for a bass I am planning, so I should have some left over for this...
 #159284  by tnt1234

So I stained the top - a subtle sunburst with red mahogany and vintage amber - really like it, but not sure it goes with the walnut pick up rig (which is at work right now, so can't snap a pic with it...).

Feel like the pick up right should be metal....don't know where to get it done in metal though. Suggestions?

Last edited by tnt1234 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #159286  by ccw3432

I would go with ebony with an oil finish on the ring for a deep matte look. Cocobolo would look good too with that color body.