#158554  by BJolley

Getting ready to do an electronics and hardware overhaul on a Phred Wolph and found that Wald Elrctronics no longer seems to be selling Waldo's buffer. Anyone know if he's not producing the buffer anymore? If so, are y'all using as an alternative?
 #158556  by Jon S.

Alternatives include http://www.caesound.net/search.aspx?find=buffer (CB1 and CB2) and http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer. I currently have 2 guitars with on-board buffers and sold a 3rd. 2 have/had CB1s, 1 has a Waldo, and for 1 of them, over time, I used one then the other. Both work as desired. I haven't personally tried the Redeemer but the on-line reviews and videos are excellent and it comes both as an in-guitar install and in a beltpack (useful if intended for a bevy of axes). Lastly, thought I'd mention, a couple of weeks ago, I copped a GGG J1 Booster "Stratoblaster in a box" pedal: https://reverb.com/item/1937271-general ... tratoblast It sounds really sweet and might be a nice accessory for your Wolf.
 #158564  by TI4-1009

Here's the General Guitar Gadgets blaster:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/eff ... r-booster/

I have one in my Wolfish (along with one of Waldo's buffers), works fine.
 #158572  by BJolley

Thanks for the input above. I have emailed Waldo. If that doesn't go anywhere I'll likely go for the CAE CB1. The Blaster in a Box sounds like an interesting diy pedal addition and will have to check that out. For what it's worth, when I stripped the Wolph I took the buffer from there an added to a homemade Tiger-inspired guitar along with OBEL. While I've never played another buffer, the Phred buffer had noticeable benefits and I really enjoy being able to use vol for vol without tone side effects. Very helpful for gigs to keep vol at 80% and then crank the knob for a solo or when more punch is needed.
 #158573  by BJolley

As predicted by others, Waldo emailed back and is still producing the buffer. I've ordered one. Wish me luck.
 #158574  by bzbz

I use the buffer to play at guitar volume "2", and then have plenty of headroom for solos, volume changes - using pedals only for color
 #158576  by tcsned

BJolley wrote:As predicted by others, Waldo emailed back and is still producing the buffer. I've ordered one. Wish me luck.
I've got 2 of them, they are great.
 #158578  by Searing75

I've used all of the above mentioned buffers, and Walds is the best IMHO. It's the high quality components that he uses in the circuit that makes the difference. The CB2 from CAE does have an interesting tone that works well with single coils. Again, IMHO. The GGG offering is also available in just the buffer. No box. You just pop the buffer right in the guitar like the others. I have tried these as well, and while it did sound good in my single coil Wolf, I preferred the CB2 in that guitar. Desert island buffer.....Walds.
 #158579  by Jon S.

Not all buffers are identical. This being said, when I had the CB1, Wald, and back to the CB1 buffers sequentially in the same guitar, to me, they sounded indistinguishable. This is intended as a compliment to both units as they both work well.

The last time I shared this video, I think someone here got upset over it. But I enjoyed how Nick describes how and why buffers work. It's just information/perhaps you'll enjoy it, too.

#158580  by Bigfoot Co.

While I can appreciate the history of CAE, if I needed another on-board buffer for use in a JG style guitar, I'd always go with waldo's. If only out of respect for the information / knowledge he shared directly with this community over the years. Sad to see he is no longer registered here. Hope he's just taking a break. Just one person's opinion. :peas:
 #158581  by Jon S.

Bigfoot Co. wrote: I'd always go with waldo's. If only out of respect for the information / knowledge he shared directly with this community over the years.
A fair preference if it's how you feel (I, myself, was speaking to the functionality of the various options).
 #158582  by Gr8fulCadi

Bigfoot Co. wrote:While I can appreciate the history of CAE, if I needed another on-board buffer for use in a JG style guitar, I'd always go with waldo's. If only out of respect for the information / knowledge he shared directly with this community over the years. Sad to see he is no longer registered here. Hope he's just taking a break. Just one person's opinion. :peas:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Of course there are options, but I’m thoroughly satisfied with both my wald tpc’s. If I would get a third, Wald 4sure. He’s got my Twin as we speak to do his thing. Can’t wait for that delivery!!
 #158584  by hippieguy1954

Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Bigfoot Co. wrote:While I can appreciate the history of CAE, if I needed another on-board buffer for use in a JG style guitar, I'd always go with waldo's. If only out of respect for the information / knowledge he shared directly with this community over the years. Sad to see he is no longer registered here. Hope he's just taking a break. Just one person's opinion. :peas:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Of course there are options, but I’m thoroughly satisfied with both my wald tpc’s. If I would get a third, Wald 4sure. He’s got my Twin as we speak to do his thing. Can’t wait for that delivery!!
I have a Wald buffers in all four of my guitars. Mikes contributions (including the buffer details and history) and his history here gives his buffer way more mojo than any other IMHO.

You're gonna love your Twin! :smile: