Chat about Equipment Info
 #153098  by broesau

I was at this show and the Easy Wind really surprised me. This band is tight.
 #153108  by Poor Peter

HeadSpace wrote:Interesting to me is that fact that Mayer is clearly the leader. This is his band.
Didn't get that at all.
 #153110  by HeadSpace

Watch it again. He's leading the whole rehearsal, teaching to the tune to everyone, talking about whether to play it that night or not, etc. I'd have expected Bobby to be doing that. Nope. Mayer.
 #153111  by gmchart

I'm not a player, I'm a hack. All winter and spring I've been working on this song and finally decided 'screw, it my brother will figure it out.So, to watch these guys that I consider GODS, struggle thru this change was humanizing. Yes, they are that good, but sometimes they need to work on it too. The 'Old guys vs. New blood' was fun to watch and especially the fact that nobody was done untill they 'got it' was an unexpected treat. (Had they listened to Jeff, they would have got it about 20 min. earlier.)
 #153119  by tcsned

I wouldn't read too much into this peek into one tune. Maybe Mayer suggested it, the Dead haven't played this tune since 1971 or 1972, I think Bobby gets a pass for not remembering the specifics of it. It seemed like Chimenti had the best handle on it. I just think it's cool seeing them work through the song.
 #153120  by playingdead

I think The Dead (with Warren) played it once in 2009. Total trainwreck. Warren sang it. Or tried to.

I think what you saw there was Mayer just deciding "We can do it tonight" ... whereas someone who was not already a rock star and was intimidated by the whole experience of being in Garcia's shoes might have said, "What do you think? Huh? Can we try it tonight?" LOL