#152545  by keirweir

I'm in the early stages of a build and have two different pieces of flamed maple for the neck. I can't decide which one to go with.

I have a standard piece with a nice golden color but also have access to a piece of baked flamed maple. The baked piece has an amazing figure and the grain just pops but I'm not sure the brownish color is what I was going for.

I'm leaning non baked but am back and forth daily. Thoughts?

Non baked

Baked

Quilted and Flamed Walnut core
 #152548  by augustwest1

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Based on the photos . . . it looks like if you use the standard piece, it will more closely match the tone of the top & back. But if you use the baked piece, it will tie in nicely with the walnut core & contrast more with the top/back.

I guess it also depends on whether you're making a laminated neck with a contrasting wood. If not, I'd consider using both, and trying to tie it all together, with a the 3 piece laminate using the baked stuff on the outsides to really show off the grain & the standard in the center.
 #152549  by Searing75

I would want it as close to the original as possible. I know it would alwYs bother me if I went with the baked, darker option. Go with the non baked, and be confident you will avoid future discrepant feelings/emotions.
 #152551  by gmchart

I'm curious about the 'baked', I have no experience with it. Are you gonna carve thru it? I'm kind of contrast guy as a rule, and the back of the neck is really not 'public space' but I wonder if you'll go in and out of it? Might be cool...?
 #152552  by ac4468

Personally I'd go for the closet match to the top and back. I'd definitely save the darker one for another build with a dark top/back like Wenge or Walnut.
 #152555  by keirweir

All valuable feedback so far thank you!

The laminates for this neck will be a little different than the Wolf neck. I'm adding a strip of coco bolo in the neck with some highlights to make it pop. I agree that the baked maple might be better for a different guitar, I love the golden color on flamed maple.

Baked option

Non baked option - not actual neck
 #152557  by JDB30

Why make 1 neck when you can make 2? Go for both and try them. You'll always have a viable backup or be ahead of the game for your next guitar.
 #152559  by HeadSpace

I like them both and even have a guitar with a baked maple neck, which I like a lot. Very stable--which can be an important consideration if you're using highly figured maple in necks, I have been told. Supposedly, very flamy necks are not the most stable, though perhaps the laminations would help with this. I'm no luthier, so who knows.

But seriously, we're talking about the Dead here. How can you go with anything other than "baked?" :D