#152525  by augustwest1

Here are a couple photos of the first guitar I've built. It was sort of a practice run to make sure my math and layouts were correct, and a low stakes chance to practice some new building techniques.

The construction is the same as what I'll do for the next "real" build, but everything else is basically inferior (curly maple from the lumberyard for the body instead of quilted maple from ebay, only 2 inlays on the whole thing, budget tuners and pickups, homemade plates and tail piece, etc).

Here's a link https://goo.gl/photos/boo32gUL3mdSvKr5A to some photos of the building process for anyone who's interested.

I probably wouldn't have even tried this if wasn't for all the information and knowledge that's shared on this site, so thanks to everyone for that. Thanks especially to Anthony ("ac4468" around here) - a builder who really knows his stuff and was incredibly generous with his time.

Last edited by augustwest1 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #152526  by tcsned

Dang!! Thank looks awesome!! Looks like a winner to me :cool: :cool:
 #152533  by tnt1234

Wow...please tell me by 'first' you mean 'first wolf'....if that was your first guitar ever then I am doubly blown away!

Looks killer - great work.
 #152537  by TI4-1009

milobender wrote:Did you end up going all the way with the Formby's?
Isn't that a rather personal question? :oops:
 #152540  by Searing75

TI4-1009 wrote:
milobender wrote:Did you end up going all the way with the Formby's?
Isn't that a rather personal question? :oops:
The Formby's sure know how to throw a key party!
 #152543  by augustwest1

Yeah, this is the first guitar I've ever built.

I did finish it with Formby's Milobender -- about 25 to 30 coats. Despite all your help/input, it was my first time using that product, and while I'd say the end result is acceptable, it is way too finicky and requires way too much time for my taste. I'm going to spray the next one.
 #152544  by lovetoboogie

Thanks for taking the time to photograph that build...really great stuff. Looks beautiful! Congrats!
 #152553  by ac4468

The guitar really came together. It's always a pleasure to help out. It's also fun to share luthier "war stories". I suspect that most of us have encountered the exact same issues or challenges on our first Wolf build. Really nice work Bob!
 #152578  by augustwest1

Thanks for all the kind remarks folks, I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll start another thread featuring close-ups of all the flaws in my first build!
Last edited by augustwest1 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #152580  by lunasparks

First guitar build? Whoa!

Can we at least guess not first woodworking project?? Looks very nice!
 #152581  by augustwest1

Yes -- I've built furniture for years as a hobby. Plus, I spent 8 months working on this puppy....