#125456  by philzone77

I just using an iPad mounted to the mic stand via the iKlip. It works great for lyrics and is really easy to see; not to mention it's also a much lower profile solution. I did have to do some prep work ahead of time to get things the way that I wanted them. First, I took all my digital lyrics and tried to condense them down to 1 song per page in Microsoft Word. Most tunes you don't need to repeat chorus' and other tunes have lyrics that I'm not singing so in those cases, I shrink or eliminate the text. That way, I can blow up the font on the stuff that I'm most concerned with. Granted, there are a couple of tunes that you can't fit on one page, but it's easy to scroll from one page to the next once the file is converted. You can can also color code each line or verse so you don't get lost as you work your way through the tune. After I've got all the lyrics arranged on their dedicated pages, I save the document as a PDF and get the file over to the iPad by emailing it to myself. The PDF reader is free and once you have it up there, it's really easy to just swipe from one song to the next. As you add more tunes to your master Word document, you can use Acrobat to add the new pages to your PDF!

Hope that helps!

Phil
 #125458  by Emoto

These all look like nice solutions. But, I am holding out until a large screen format is affordable. I've been playing a lot of jazz lately, and there are lots of tricky chords and often lots of changes that I really need to see well. I already need reading glasses, so something smaller than a standard page, e.g., iPad, just doesn't give me enough area for the kind of display size I need.
 #125678  by myoung6923

Emoto wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:Page turning foot switches...

http://www.thegigeasy.com/hardware/airturn.html
Holy crap, that's cool. Have you tried one yet, Mike?
No, I have found that I can fit everything on to one page and read it well enough. There are a couple of songs that I can't though, and in that case these would be really handy - but I have been able to just swipe to the next page pretty quickly.
 #125681  by jkstraw

Emoto wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:Page turning foot switches...

http://www.thegigeasy.com/hardware/airturn.html
Holy crap, that's cool. Have you tried one yet, Mike?
Hey Emoto - this s the same pedaling I was telling you about on page 1 of this thread. I have been using it with OSong for months. It works really well. I have the two pedal version - I set up set lists in OSong and then use it to scroll within songs that require it and move forward to the next song.

Let me know if you have any particular questions. The only issue I have with it is the loss of keyboard when the pedal is linked to the ipad (all of these pedals are really just mapped keyboard keys). I just need to make sure I have everything finalized when it is show time!
 #126100  by Phil Lesh101

On the iPad there is an app called "OnSong" that is great for organizing your songs and sets even and it is compatible with the air-turn foot switches. For 8$ you can't ask for anything better than Onsong.
 #153683  by TRG

This is an old thread, but for those that are using digital sheet music solutions is the gigeasy, Osong and Ipad still a solid way to go? Also, if using an Ipad, do you find that you need the 12" screen or does the 9" screen suffice?

Thanks!
 #154933  by TRG

TRG wrote:This is an old thread, but for those that are using digital sheet music solutions is the gigeasy, Onsong and Ipad still a solid way to go? Also, if using an Ipad, do you find that you need the 12" screen or does the 9" screen suffice?

Thanks!
Bump - just wondering if anyone has any insight that they could share...?
 #154935  by Emoto

I'm still using a 3-ring notebook. So far, the electronic solutions are either too small for my aging eyes or too expensive. *shrug*

I haven't been playing much Dead lately. May have to start up again.