#25348  by caspersvapors

I love this song, haha its so spiteful its great. But I was reading the annotated lyrics site and read a blurb about how Barlow wrote this lyric but Bobby never sang it:

"And while you were saying your mantra
I was humping your very best friend
And comparing myself to Sinatra
'Cause I did it my way in her end"

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/AGDL/buck.html

lolol that shit is great

#25349  by deadguise

Ha Ha! My band plays that song and we'll swap out a regular verse and use those lines instead! I guess Bobby was being PC.

#25352  by Benthegoodbum

What a wuss! That verse rocks!

#25357  by tigerstrat

It's kinda funny. But Dead concerts were family events and that was just a liiiiitle bit over the top.

#25378  by strumminsix

Funny indeedy... But...
I personally read the lyrics of HIAB to be:
- A man and woman in a relationship
- The woman nags/ridicules/condemns the man for how he lives his life
- The woman not really living a good life either
- The man begining to realize how messed up she is

That extra verse really changes "him" from being in a bad relationship with a nut-case, double standard nag to a down-right bragging cheater without remorse.

#25390  by Rev_Roach

or, if that verse were to be last, you could interpret that the narrator had enough and broke up with the girl in a very powerful way by nailing her friend and rubbing it in her face.

#25393  by strumminsix

Rev_Roach wrote:or, if that verse were to be last, you could interpret that the narrator had enough and broke up with the girl in a very powerful way by nailing her friend and rubbing it in her face.
A slight stretch but I could see that...

I guess I read it to mean "while you were preaching to me I was fucking your best friend".

#25399  by Rev_Roach

maybe im just trying to justify because I like the Sinatra/my way line so much. It would have been really cool if Bobby broke it out just once or twice.

I always did think of the song as a "fuck you, goodbye" kind of thing, and ending with "by the way i banged your friend" seems fitting to me. As casper said starting the thread, it is a very spiteful song
 #25495  by kenneybonz

donna g.. dunno why that would have been...but he was pretty adamant about it...

#25501  by Shaggy

I was always more interested in Jerry's leads on this one rather than the lyrics!
 #25504  by AugustWest

strumminsix wrote:
kenneybonz wrote:donna g.. dunno why that would have been...but he was pretty adamant about it...
Huh?
I second that emotion. Huh?!?!?

#25549  by Rev_Roach

Please tell me you're not talking about a stupid Bobby/Donna rumor. I dont know what it would have to do with anything since Hell in a Bucket wasnt played until long after she was out of the band

#25579  by caspersvapors

theres no fucking way that shit is about donna lol. for him to have cheated on donna would mean theyd have to have a full on relationship...

keep in mind these are barlows words too