#126584  by Billbbill

healthy_scratch wrote:Here is one I have not played in a while but it got me thinking - what is Garcia actually doing and doing so very well (especially on the 1978 JGB versions) when he does his chord solo that leads to a peaking manic chord crescendo before coming back to the closing verse-chorus to end the tune.

I actually have not tried it with a recording in a while, hell I do not think I have played Harder They COme in over 5 years but I assume it is just a question of using different chord voicings that are essentially serving as a very melodic voice leading à la Eyes of the World - the sublime introduction to the GD Raceway Park Englishtown 1977 version in particular here, granted most 70s versions include yummy Jerry chord soloing.

The chord soloing thing has always been one of the more fascinating and neglected side of Garcias playing, especially in articles and lessons in leading guitar magazines over the years. When I was starting out playing it was one of the areas I was most drawn to of Garcia's style but never knew how or what exactly he was up to.

Jerry does this ragingly well on the Warner Theatre 03-17-78 Harder They Come I do believe.

Any thoughts and preferred voicings welcome as always.

CHeers,

-HS
Right - inversions of various chords forming melodic runs - eyes is a perfect example. Though changing from chord to chord (key to key) changes things up a bit for sure. A simple example is right from eyes. No time to tab now. Here I am doing some of this a while back. Check out the Harder They Come.

see if this is what you mean and if so I'll elaborate more on what I'm up to - to the extent I can communicate it! lol!!

http://archive.org/details/sbb2011-05-20.sbbaud2

I solo both before and after the keys
 #126590  by rugger

healthy_scratch wrote:Here is one I have not played in a while but it got me thinking - what is Garcia actually doing and doing so very well (especially on the 1978 JGB versions) when he does his chord solo that leads to a peaking manic chord crescendo before coming back to the closing verse-chorus to end the tune.

I actually have not tried it with a recording in a while, hell I do not think I have played Harder They COme in over 5 years but I assume it is just a question of using different chord voicings that are essentially serving as a very melodic voice leading à la Eyes of the World - the sublime introduction to the GD Raceway Park Englishtown 1977 version in particular here, granted most 70s versions include yummy Jerry chord soloing.

The chord soloing thing has always been one of the more fascinating and neglected side of Garcias playing, especially in articles and lessons in leading guitar magazines over the years. When I was starting out playing it was one of the areas I was most drawn to of Garcia's style but never knew how or what exactly he was up to.

Jerry does this ragingly well on the Warner Theatre 03-17-78 Harder They Come I do believe.

Any thoughts and preferred voicings welcome as always.

CHeers,

-HS
As Bill said, your assumptions on what he is doing are correct. So the question is, can you apply this? Since you're asking, I'm guessing not. So we should probably start with, can you harmonize a major scale? (e.g. C Dm Em F G Am Bdim) Play these triads on the top three strings or strings 2,3,4 (maybe more common). Get yourself familiar with running up and down the neck with these shapes and then start applying your sense of melody--or play the melody straight from the song. As an ear training exercise I started playing old familiar nursery rhymes this way. Twinkle, Old McDonald, Farmer in the Dell, whatever is strongly engrained in your head.

Apologies in advance if you know this already. Or if you need further clarification let me know. Good luck.

John in San Diego
 #126635  by healthy_scratch

rugger wrote:
As Bill said, your assumptions on what he is doing are correct. So the question is, can you apply this? Since you're asking, I'm guessing not. So we should probably start with, can you harmonize a major scale? (e.g. C Dm Em F G Am Bdim) Play these triads on the top three strings or strings 2,3,4 (maybe more common). Get yourself familiar with running up and down the neck with these shapes and then start applying your sense of melody--or play the melody straight from the song. As an ear training exercise I started playing old familiar nursery rhymes this way. Twinkle, Old McDonald, Farmer in the Dell, whatever is strongly engrained in your head.

Apologies in advance if you know this already. Or if you need further clarification let me know. Good luck.

John in San Diego
Thanks John and Bill. You both got exactly what I was asking. I think I know how to do what you described. I mean I understand the theory behind the voicings used from the corresponding harmonized major scale. At the time I was at work and thinking (typing) out loud and wanted to run it by the more savvy memebrs here to see if what I was thinking for this tune in particular was right. I will have to try this on the Harder They Come.

Great version by the way Bill, you are doing exactly what I was referring to throughout the song whereby you are providing what sounds like a more active accompaniment through the use of different voices which as John confirmed is form the harmonized scale. I will have to try this out on Harder They Come as I can do it at times reasonably competently on Eyes.

Thanks for the responses to both of you. Bill keep up the great work with your band, you guys sound really really good!!! A very very nice tone you got going on there.