#3611  by jck_strw

Bill

If you can't find it, let me know. I'll host it somewhere for download.

#29073  by b weird

Bill Bill you said on page on that you weren't fermilliar with the "Fallout From The Phil" version of HtH and you posted a link to the 8-6-71 show with a version of HtH well, The 8-6-71 HtH and the Phil Zone HtH are one and the same. Just figured I'd tell ya.

#29075  by tigerstrat

ebick wrote:For the record (according to Deadbase), HTH was played 2x post-pig. Once appearantly in a warmup the night before the target performance, which was 12/31/82.
That was with Etta James on vocals... not a bad stand-in for Pig!

#29100  by GratefulPat

they seem to be out of tune on the palladium show, whenever i jam with that hth it seems im tuned sharp?

#29105  by shakedown_04092

GratefulPat wrote:they seem to be out of tune on the palladium show, whenever i jam with that hth it seems im tuned sharp?
Some shows are like that, I had the same problem/question a while back, and someone here said that the trasfer sometimes gets screwed up along the way, or something like that. Someone here can probably explain it better than that, though. There's a program out there called Cool Edit 2 that allows you to fix the problem & get them "back in key".

#29108  by strumminsix

Okay, they could be out of tune, never discount that. :)
But I can't say that I've heard that on shows with keys.

The issue is when transferring to/from tape the reel may spin it either faster or slower. This causes the notes to sharpen or flatten. Another common thing you see is that a show has 3 "speeds" if you will: at the beginning there isn't alot of stress on the reel turning so it's moving at a speed say of 10 then in the middle there is some impedance as the tape is starting to build up and the speed is say at 8 then at the end of the reel it's at 6!

This was common back then and something Bear knew too well and a great accomplishment for him was overcoming this with the mixing of live material into Anthem.

#29117  by prephippie

shakedown_04092 wrote:
GratefulPat wrote:they seem to be out of tune on the palladium show, whenever i jam with that hth it seems im tuned sharp?
Some shows are like that, I had the same problem/question a while back, and someone here said that the trasfer sometimes gets screwed up along the way, or something like that. Someone here can probably explain it better than that, though. There's a program out there called Cool Edit 2 that allows you to fix the problem & get them "back in key".
Someone made a remaster of the 8/6/71 show and supposedly fixed it.

original 8/6/71:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-08- ... sbeok.shnf

remaster:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-08- ... beok.flacf

#29145  by BlobWeird

The aud I have of 8-6-71 is lovely. Actually it would suck to have a sbd of this show lol. I love the crowds reaction when Jerry starts building. Best version ive ever heard hands down.

#29149  by b weird

Totally off topic but... Shakedown_04092 I love your little Jerry dollar bill signature and I was wondering if you didn't mind posting a full size pic?

#29155  by shakedown_04092

Here ya go:

EDIT:

PS - I can't take credit for this, found it on the web somewhere....

#30973  by prephippie

BlobWeird wrote:The aud I have of 8-6-71 is lovely. Actually it would suck to have a sbd of this show lol. I love the crowds reaction when Jerry starts building. Best version ive ever heard hands down.
Yes, the crowd at that show makes it (Minus the "woo woo" guy).

According to the comments at the archive links I posted Jerry fell down to his knees during that part of the jam. That would've been a sight to see. :cool:

#30984  by st. stephen

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CBTdAyCF4pM
nice vid to accompagny this smokin' version =)

#30988  by Candyman1984

That 8-6-71 is unbelievable but i still urge you all to check out the 4-21-1971. It is absolutely insane, and i think it may be better than 8-6-71. Check it out for sure

#31014  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Im not even gonna try and compare the black crowes to the dead's but theres is not bad at all

#31017  by zoppenheimer

Im not even gonna try and compare the black crowes to the dead's but theres is not bad at all
Personally I don't think The Black Crowes do the song justice, it looses the funkey groove during the verses. Just my opinion though.