#153  by mzebari

other than otis, Pigpen did it best
 #1805  by settledowneasy91

I totally agree, If anyone owns the festival express dvd then you should check out a killer hard to handle in the bonus songs section

#1809  by ebick

The one from Fallout From The Philzone is smokin!!!!

#1810  by Cosmic C

The Fallout version is very excellant! The jam is outstanding could you imagine being in that crowd!

#1840  by Billbbill

Gives me goose bumps just thinkin' about it.

A little story on that one.

I picked up a bootleg album in the early eighties called "Dead Out West" (album as in vinyl) with this killer HTH. Fast forward to CD time (it's a shame but I hardly use my turntable anymore!) and my discovery of archive.org and I figured let me see if they have the show. One problem, no date on the album. I searched for Hollywood Palladium since that was the only info and eventually located the show. I even think it's the same source.

The whole show is pretty good.
 #1841  by settledowneasy91

do you know if they stopped playing it after pigpen died, or did bobby pick it up wth all those other pig songs?

#1843  by Billbbill

I'm not sure but for the most part I think they did not play it after pig died. There may have been a few occasions more recently when it was played but I'm not sure.
 #1845  by settledowneasy91

Yeah i figured, i doubt bobby could have done it like pig did, but he can certainley hold his own in some of his pig covers

#1846  by ebick

For the record (according to Deadbase), HTH was played 2x post-pig. Once appearantly in a warmup the night before the target performance, which was 12/31/82.

#3602  by jck_strw

I'd like to nominate the HtH jam from 4-27-71 as the best. I just picked up this show (one of the 5 shows that compromise the Ladies and Gentlemen...CD set) and it's fucking on fire. I've never been a big fan of the Dead's version of HtH. I think it stems from the first version of theirs that I heard (I'm thinking it was one of those Feb, Capitol Theatre shows from 71) and it was awful. This version has an absolutely killer Jerry jam starting at 4:19 and continuing through to 7:30. Goosebump city.

Not sure if this is the one on Ladies and Gentlemen... or not.

Incredible.

#3604  by sarraqum

The 1971/08/06 version of Hard to Handle has is probably one of the best ones out there. Its not only Jerry's solo that does it for me but also the crowd going completely nuts when he is playing it...

#3610  by Billbbill

Ditto sarraqum.

Hey Jack. I'm gonna have to investigate that further. Don't think I've heard that version.