"Blew the city off the man" ?

#12712  by ded1hed

im not really hearing that whole g7 line
i play that stretch more like the one on here

i guess its a c something or other

#12718  by Billbbill

I lay out my take on some of this here

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=144

been meaning to do a vid on this just can't seem to get around to it..among quite a few others.

Makes me think of that poem, I think by Wordsworth, 'The world is too much with us.'

#12782  by Mark1

BillBill,
Like your version in the other post. Good stuff. Except for the G7 in "Wonder what they did there". But, I can't find another chord that sounds any better... and its good for one count.

I've been looking for this song for a while.

Billbill, what's your take on the bridge. I like Gblatt's, but just not 100%. I thought maybe there was an F#m in there, perhaps on the "Said a lot of trouble's coming" line.

One other thing: I've only been playing for about 9 months. Can somebody tell me how to pick the D and B strings at the same time with a pick in my hand? Because there seem to be a lot of tabs that have that. Thanks!

#12785  by Billbbill

Nearest I can tell off a jg solo acoustic version of the tune it's a G7. I don't recall if I show it on the other thread but it looks like this

--G7
e--1-
b--3-
g--0-
d--0-
a--2-
E--3-

Here's my take on the bridge. I got Bm to Am where you hear the F#m

Bm
I heard a voice tellin' me to flee
Em----------------------G--------D
The very same voice I always believe
Bm----------------------------Am
Said alot of trouble's comin',
-----------------------------D
But it don't have to come to you
C-----------Csus4--G--C5/G bass(or Gsus4/6 no 3rd)--G
I'm telling you so you can------------------------tell
G---------------F---------C
The rest what you've been through.

I believe the picking thing is a reference to flat and finger picking at the same time. Flat held with the index and thumb, and the other three available for picking, primarily the middle and ring finger though a nimble pinky would certainly work as well.

I do this a lot. A decent look at it in my Stagger Lee vids. I also do this with the goin down the road, Althea, valerie, and black peter intro's

Shit, I guess I do do it a lot.

#12851  by Mark1

Yeah, that bridge sounds dead on (no pun intended)! And the more I play the G7, it doesn't sound bad either!

For now, I'm going to go C, Csus4, then G on the "I'm telling you..." part. Just till I feel comfortable.

#12853  by Billbbill

Don't let my (possibly wrong!) chord citing throw you

this

C5/G bass(or Gsus4/6 no 3rd)

is simply this

e--3--
b--1--
g--0--
d--2--
a--X--
E--3--

Just a G with your pinky and ring fingers and adding the 4/6 with the index and middle finger.
 #29785  by tdub2ya

last verse start; you blew the city right off the map
left nothing there but fire...

the intro melody line works more with a c note or than a full g7 chord. which has a an f as a dominant note. peace tdub. :smile:
 #101288  by Thinker

Hi, My name is Kevin, first post.

Love this song, has a lot of meaning. Going to tell you right off the bat I am not the best speller.

Anyway, I tinker quite a bit and always find myself playing the same songs....Gomorrah is one of them.
I am not in a band, been playing for about 11 years, playing guitar takes me someplace away from all the B/S of common life dealings...The rat race, so to say...

I have a five year old and a nine month old, I play guitar for them and they love it! My wife and I both play but she not so much anymore.

I know this is an old thread and most stuff has probably been talked about in many ways.... Hope there is more to talk about.

Kevin
 #101289  by Billbbill

Hey Kevin - welcome to rukind! You didn't really touch on anything specific except you really like this tune! Me too! Here's a vid I put on youtube a while back - use the search function to help you find specific stuff you may be interested in - it's a good tool.

#101297  by Thinker

Thanks for sharing you playing Gomorrah...sounds nice!

When I said the song has a lot of meaning, a few things come to mind. First time I came across this song was on the JGB carnegie hall album. What a good show IMO! Like a road is another great one off that.

I like that it has to do with the old testament, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. Genesis 19:17 - Gen 19:26 in a nutshell are the song.

When I play the song I can't do all the fingerwork you do but it still sounds alright...I think :roll: ...
I am self tought and have a hard time explaining what I do/how I play certain songs, but I'll try.

I go:

Bb quickly to an F

F quickly to a C

C quickly to a G
Then holding the G chord, pick the G, hammer on the second fret of D string and open G string

I told you, I don't know how to explain...lol...

Kevin