#55874  by Drunkgiraffe

Hey guys,

This may sound kinda weird....but im trying to play Eyes on my Uke. I am playing the chords specified, but it just doesn't sound correct.

could it be that its just not on a guitar.

any pointers?

thanks.
 #55916  by astroman99

How are you voicing the E maj7, I think you need the root on the bottom and the maj 7th higher in the voicing, but what do I know, also when you go th the A in the verse bounce on a sus 4th.
 #55918  by strumminsix

astroman99 wrote:How are you voicing the E maj7, I think you need the root on the bottom and the maj 7th higher in the voicing, but what do I know, also when you go th the A in the verse bounce on a sus 4th.
You are onto something here with voicing. My ears hear that the 1, 5, mj7 are more dominant and the 3 is not.

For example when I play it off the 2nd fret it's good, 7th fret it's good. Open is okay, but the 4th fret is just odd sounding and so is the 9th fret.
 #100116  by ndrewoods

Drunkgiraffe wrote:Hey guys,

This may sound kinda weird....but im trying to play Eyes on my Uke. I am playing the chords specified, but it just doesn't sound correct.

could it be that its just not on a guitar.

any pointers?

thanks.
 #106933  by adks12020

Actually this isn't a weird idea at all. I actually play Eyes on uke all the time and it sounds great. I learned to play it on the uke before the guitar because it was easier and I love the song. The key is to play up the neck a little. Stay away from open chords in first position except for the A chord after the Bm at the end of the verse and the chorus if you want but I think the G, C and D barres sound better than open there too. Anywhere you can use a barre use it. It sounds closer to the original that way because of the way the chords are voiced.

Almost every time I play it I screw it up the first time and have to shift a fret but if I'm not mistaken (it would help if I had the uke in my hand rather than being at work) I play the Emaj7 as a barre chord on the 5th fret (barre the 5th fret and fret the 7th fret of the A string) then play the A barre chord on the 4th fret. Shift down towards the end of the verse for a Bm barre on the second fret and then the open A chord.

This chart should help if you don't know the uke barre chords.... http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1fo ... forms.html

Enjoy...Eyes is a perfect song for the uke once you get the voicings correct.
 #106934  by adks12020

ok, correction...as when I play it I reversed the chords in my head....Emaj7 on the 4th fret as well as the A.
 #106935  by adks12020

It also sounds better if you slide into the Emaj7. That may eliminate the odd sound you hear a little.
 #145367  by oceanbear11

I'm afraid I don't have any pointers, but I just wanted to say that I think what you're doing is awesome. I've transcripted a few Dead songs onto my uke (U.S. Blues, Standing on the Moon, Built to Last, Brokedown Palace, and a couple others). Right now I'm working on transcripting Friend of the Devil. I tried Eyes once, but I wasn't able to go through with it.
Anyway, if you've even bothered to read this useless post this far, I'd just like to say good luck, and just keep truckin' on. I believe in you. :cheers:

Peace Out,

-Oceanbear