#121632  by ebick

sounds great.....how did it go over?
 #121633  by mgbills

Very nice! Love the sax.
 #121636  by ugly rumor

Actually it was an accidental meeting. The sax player is known in this area as a "Swiss Army" musician, very good, but completely unfamiliar with Grateful Dead. I had played in a country band with him years ago, and had not seen him in years. The guitar player knows three Dead songs (we had just finished playing "Black Peter" before "Eyes"). The drummer is also very good, and obviously has some familiarity with the Dead, or is a great listener. He impressed me. So, without knowing each other musically, I think we did ok.
 #121638  by hippieguy1954

Very nice "off the cuff" work!
 #121641  by Adam Deckard

Singer goofs at almost the same spot jerry does in the third verse on disc 9 of the winterland box set. I think jerrys was " sometimes we riide-er-visit your country and live in your home, sometimes we ride..." i hate it when i goof on stage but then dont recover from it and leave a couple bars empty of lyrics before picking up the next verse but its hard to just switch mid sentence.. Sometimes ill just finish out the wrong/duplicate verse and then pickup with the right one.. The bass sounds great man! The sax player must have heard this one before eh? When i first started the vid i could have sworn there was another guitar playing lead off to the left that you couldnt see but it was the sax laying it down! Was this in Roanoke? Ill be coming back to the star city this spring sometime we should really get together and pick n grin. Maybe grt tscnd to join us. I have been too busy out here in cali to track down anyone to play with and since im working for dod again there arent exactly many heads floating around at work. No jerry ties or tiedyed tees on fridays to look for when everyones wearing a flight suit... :-(
 #121646  by tcsned

Right on man! I just played Schooners last nigh :D

Who's the sad player he looks really familiar but hard to pick out faces on the iPad. That must be Thomas back there on drums - he's easy to spot :-) the guitar player looks a little familia too.

Nice job, it's a bit hard to hear the bass on the iPad speakers, I'll have to listen again with some actual speakers. What night was that? Let me know if you're gonna do it again. Come play a tune with us the next time your out.
 #121647  by ugly rumor

Open mic at Schooner's is Teusday. Sax was Al Kash, a long time local musician. Alan Feldman played guitar, and yes, the incredible Thomas Wilson on drums. Al Kash denied any familiarity with the grateful Dead, other than having seen them in Roanoke in 1974; he's just that good of a musician that he fell right in, with minimal advance coaching. I'm the weak link.
 #121650  by Adam Deckard

ugly rumor wrote: Al Kash denied any familiarity with the grateful Dead, other than having seen them in Roanoke in 1974
i have to call horse shit on Al then.. He was laying down the bobby part right before the BBBB AAAA. He plays the lick where its like ba dum ba dum ba ba baa ba...

someone back me up here

or he could just be the shit :hail:
 #122096  by ugly rumor

Next is "Jack Straw!"
Last edited by ugly rumor on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #122643  by ugly rumor

I need to correct myself; the saxophone was played by Al Coffey, a great local musician, not Al Kash, an equally accomplished musician from the Albany, New York area. Sometimes the signals in my brain don't transfer. Sorry to both for the mistake. Also, sorry I missed The Kind last night. Scheduling conflicts, etc. (insert an acceptable excuse here)