key

#119042  by easytoslip

what key is this song in?
 #119043  by hippieguy1954

E maj7
 #119045  by JonnyBoy

If you are trying to learn some scales or licks for it, try B mixo and E maj scales over the intro on a looper. You can play both and tie them both together between the 7th and 12th fret.
 #119049  by tcsned

Isn't it Emaj for the Emaj7-A part and E mixolydian for the Bm (or whatever variation of Amaj)?
 #119051  by joethepainter

hippieguy1954 wrote:E maj7
There is no E maj7 key. This song is written in the key of E. In standard notation, this is shown as four sharps on the staff.
Here's a chart showing the keys, and their relationship to one another...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
 #119052  by strumminsix

ETS - it's in Emaj7. Differences that you hear when soloing:
- doesn't sound like a regular major scale, but it is
- heavy usage of major 7th note
mkaufman wrote:I think Bobby plays it in D (from the '78 Bob Weir album).

mk
LOL, MK, you read her user name "easy to slip"
 #119053  by joethepainter

strumminsix wrote:ETS - it's in Emaj7.
Like I stated previously, there is no Emaj7 key. What scales and/or modes to use when soloing is a different question.
Eyes of the World is written in the key of E.
 #119054  by tcsned

joethepainter wrote:
strumminsix wrote:ETS - it's in Emaj7.
Like I stated previously, there is no Emaj7 key. What scales and/or modes to use when soloing is a different question.
Eyes of the World is written in the key of E.
E major for the Emaj7-Amaj chords, E mixolydian or some other form of A major over the Bmin chord. Chorus generally in G major.
 #119057  by hippieguy1954

joethepainter is correct. The song is technically in the key of E. I just wanted to give easytoslip the first chord in the song as the song is based on that Emaj7.
 #119061  by joethepainter

hippieguy1954 wrote:joethepainter is correct. The song is technically in the key of E. I just wanted to give easytoslip the first chord in the song as the song is based on that Emaj7.
...and that's cool! Actually, all the posts about what scales and modes to use are right on...I just felt the need to separate the apples from the oranges, as it were...and, I hope our input is helpful to the OP... :-)
Peace, Joe
 #119076  by Dozin

:lol: mk
 #119077  by tcsned

mkaufman wrote:Yes, I thought we were talking about Easy to Slip!

oops...

(walks away w/ tail between legs...)

mk
But you were right about the key :-)
 #119079  by Dozin

I have a question.

During the end jam, after the D#m riffs do you stay in D#m or Dm in the jam?