#89396  by Rusty the Scoob

Here's a video for this bassline, as requested. Let me know what you think!

Here's a track of my talking metronome - it's totally obnoxious but it helps a lot, no matter what instrument you're playing. http://www.mediafire.com/file/y1hzwddnm ... unting.mp3
 #89398  by Lunchbox16

Rusty, this is great. The metronome track is especially helpful. I'm looking forward to playing around with all of this.

The timing of the intro and verse have always been the biggest issues for me. That 6-7 anchor is a good thing to remember and think about. The other parts are pretty straight forward and I liked that you played through them and added some ad-libs. It sounds really good. I think the main thing for me to remember (personally) is that I need to keep it simple until I'm past that initial learning curve. My tendency is to ad-lib right off the bat, which is probably messing me up more than anything.

This question is about the jam in general: how long does it stay in 7/4 during the jam? Does it evolve into 4/4 quickly or does it take it's time (and I realize this varies with performances and bands, but how do folks generally address this?). I wonder because Estimated often leads into Eyes, which is, obviously, not in 7/4.
 #89401  by Rusty the Scoob

Every time I adlib on this song during any of the F#m parts I end up looking at my drummer in a panic, hoping for him to bail me out and let me know where 1 is. :lol: Even in the jam I can screw myself up in a heartbeat with any kind of break in concentration.

Phil plays the verse bassline with slight variations pretty much the whole jam until the beat trails off and Jerry starts the Eyes riff. I used to jam 4/4ish F# but now I try to stay more faithful to the lick and let my drummer have his fun with the 7/4.
 #89406  by Grateful Dad

Thanks for the video Rusty!
:cool:

When I was learning to jam to this tune I found playing along with the Englishtown 1977 version very helpful because the drummers stay fairly consistent with the one and six and seven beats.

What's up with The Music Never Stopped video? Who shutting this down?