#64261  by Grateful Dad

To learn the bassline for Estimated I went to the Anthology and played the left hand (bass clef) piano part. It fits the riffs for the verse very well. Note: play/read this score along with the studio version on the Terrapin Station album, it will give you a solid base to improvise, syncopate, and create your own grooves to the song. It also helps to have a drummer in your band who can count the seven beat pattern!

Good luck,

any questions just ask.

Sincerely,

Grateful Dad
 #64605  by Lunchbox16

Grateful Dad wrote:To learn the bassline for Estimated I went to the Anthology and played the left hand (bass clef) piano part.

Cool. I had considered doing something like this, but do not have the book at this juncture. I figured this, and TOO, might be good tunes to try this sort of experiment on and it's good to know that the book provides a template for Estimated.

Thanks!
 #77844  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Thanks, TS!
Lunchbox16 wrote:Rusty thanks for that. It really helps. For the slide up on the 5th beat I've been going to A on the G-string (14th Fret) then back down to F# on the A-string (9th fret). I might try to mix it up your version and mine a little bit to see how it sounds.
On the 5th beat, I do a slide down from the F# on the 11th fret of the G string, sliding for about a full beat and not ending on any particular target. That's the one thing I've heard Phil do on every single Estimated that I've heard.
I've always heard this as a slide down from A on the 14th fret. I just listened to half a dozen random versions (archive rules! back in the day it was all about wearing out the record grooves) and it confirms what I've heard. You do have it right on about Phil's two different parts in the verses.

I sometimes hear this as 3 bars of 4 with a bar of two or 4 bars of 3 with a bar of 2, it's fun to mix it up like that in the jam.

Edwin
 #77852  by Rusty the Scoob

I never did feel comfortable with that slide... I've tried sliding slower, faster, fading out quicker or letting it go longer, etc... I thought it was a technique problem and never thought of trying a different note. Now I can't wait to get home and try that out!
 #77854  by jerrys.kids

hey scoob. What was going on up there in the second set sat. Something sounded a little off, and you were lookin a little confused at some points. you kept checkin out the rig. Issues?
 #77859  by Rusty the Scoob

Hmmm... I have no idea. Truth be told the 2nd set is mostly a blur.... but now you've got me paranoid. Usually when I'm checking out my rig it's because either the poweramp or preamp clip lights are flashing - which happen more as it heats up.
 #77861  by jerrys.kids

no don't get paranoid :shock: . i just noticed that you seemed to be focused on your rig for a little bit in the middle of the set. sound was good and clear. Maybe it was just because the second set was a blur to me too. :D :drink: . Great show though. See ya at Tammany.
 #77870  by Rusty the Scoob

My rig is a little bit underpowered... I run it until just before it clips, then as it gets hotter it clips more so I have to actually turn down as the night goes on. If I didn't turn around and give it the finger, it's probably ok. :lol:

Thanks for coming and the kind words, and come say Hi at Tammany! Unless I already know you and just don't know your screen name.... :oops:
 #77886  by jerrys.kids

hey dan, my name is chris and we have chatted a few times here and there at tammany during the residency last sumer. Anything in the works for this summer? To be totally honest I don't have too much to add on the tech side of things, which is why this site is sooo freekin awesome. I have a kinda budget setup in which i have finally dialed in a nice jerryish tone (thanks to the kind fellas here). Someday I'll have a little cash to buy new toys. Anyhoo I will reintroduce myself at the tam. peace
 #77902  by Rusty the Scoob

Ok, I think I know who you are but I'm crappy with names... do you have a huge skull & roses tattoo on your side? Or are you on the less tall side (like me) and used to hang out with a couple of friends at the bar near the mirror?
 #77910  by jerrys.kids

no stealie on me, shorter guy hangin with brad (drummer in uncle billys smokehouse), tony, and some others. this is sorta like where's waldo. look for me i'll be the guy in the tie-dye. hehe.
 #78556  by Rusty the Scoob

Thanks for the tip on the A, Edwin! You were totally right. I can stop struggling to get that to sound right now. :lol:

I figured out the Cannery mystery, Chris - I'd bumped my coil-tap switches and not noticed. So I blasted my gain almost wide open to compensate for the drop in volume... I've never run it much more than halfway without serious clipping before. I never use my coil taps so that's why I didn't think to just flip them back to humbucking mode. :x <-spanking myself for being stupid :lol:
 #79084  by Lunchbox16

I'm just getting around to watching the DVD for Crimson, White & Indigo today, and the camera is on Phil for a few runs through of the intro Estimated and you can get a really good look at what he's doing. It's pretty much in the vein that Rusty already posted, but still nice to see. Clearly, having a 5th, or even 6th string makes it "easier" in terms of hand positioning.

Check it out!